Is there any point in getting the K series?

Jimmic123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2014
Right, I have a R9 270 and I was thinking whether to get the i5 4690k or the non-k version since I won't be oc'ing at this time because it won't make a difference because my gpu isn't powerful enough. I'm not getting a new gpu since I just bought this one and don't have the money to get another. How long do cpu's last? Is there any point in getting the k if I can't upgrade my gpu any time soon? Will the k still be good in a few years or should I get the non k and get a new CPU and GPU when new stuff comes out and I have more money to spend?

Solution
If you get the k, you have the option to overclock the CPU in the future.
If you get the non-k, you don't have the option to overclock the CPU in the future.

Overclocking the CPU is not dependent on whatever GPU you currently have.

USAFRet

Titan
If you get the k, you have the option to overclock the CPU in the future.
If you get the non-k, you don't have the option to overclock the CPU in the future.

Overclocking the CPU is not dependent on whatever GPU you currently have.

Solution
the nonk and k are the same cpu inside.the k just let people overclock. right now dont buy an intel cpu as the skylake cpu will be out in a few months and use 1151 pin mb the older cpu use 1150. so you cant use a haswell cpu in a skylake mb.
http://wccftech.com/colorful-unveils-skylake-z170-chipset-based-motherboards-features-socket-lga-1151-officially-launching-september/
also the amd r300 is dropping in a few weeks and next year nvidia is dropping pascal. if the leaks are right pacsal is going to be a lot lot faster then maxwell is.

Jimmic123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2014
Well I kinda wanna finish my PC this year so I don't think I'll be waiting for the new one to drop. Maybe just get the non K since it's cheaper and then upgrade in a year or something? Would that be a good idea?

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished
If you look at performance benchmarks over the last few years, you don't see the same kind of jump in performance with each processor generation as you did years ago. That could change later this year when Intel releases their Skylake chips, since they'll be the first real significant architecture change in quite some time.

That being said, it depends on what prices you can get for the k and non-k versions of the CPU you're looking at. Typically, the difference is quite small, and if it were me, I'd go with the k version, just because you may decide to overclock later if you want to get some longevity out of your platform. If you're not in any hurry, I'd even wait for Skylake to come to market, which is within a few months and see what kind of pricing you can expect and how the benchmarks come back for them.

CPUs can last a long time. My secondary system is a Core i7-940 that I've been running day and night for about 7 years now, overclocked, and it's still going strong. At an office where one of my friends works, they're still running desktop servers on Pentium II chips (yes, you heard right, Pentium II) that are still kicking along 20 years later. So they can last quite long.

I'd look at it ultimately in one of three ways - either go with a higher end platform now that you'll have a few years from now; if you're in a hurry, go more mid-line and possibly upgrade later, or just wait until Skylake is released and make a decision then. No matter which route you go, it's never long before the next generation is out, so it's forever a game of catch up.

Jimmic123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2014
Well I already have my MOBO so I won't be getting a skylake chip any time soon so I think I'll get the I5 4690k and then maybe change my GPU later so I'll be able to OC more efficiently. Then when I have more money I'll get a newer system. For some context, I'm 17 years old and have a weekend job so this has taken a while to save the money for this stuff. Almost finished and like I said I have my LG 1150 chipset MOBO so I can't get a skylake chip. I5 4690K is my best bet then! Thanks

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished

i5-4690k is certainly an excellent choice and they overclock extremely well. If you're limited to your current platform, you'll get at least 3-5 good years out of it :)

TRENDING THREADS