[SOLVED] Is there any point upgrading from 1070?

Aug 23, 2019
Pretty much the title, I'm looking to upgrade parts of my PC and when it came to looking at graphics cards I couldn't see much value upgrading from my 1070 to the current options.

I understand that cards like the 2080Ti are a significant improvement over the 1070 but I'm not currently willing to spend £600+ on a new card let alone £1,000.

Solution
I've been looking at the 3700X but am being drawn towards the 3600. What are the main differences apart from the obvious speed and price?
If you're strictly gaming or video editing, the R5 3600 is a great cpu (the BEST in it's price category) that will last you a good 5 years easy (EVEN MORE). Its only when you start multitasking is where the extra cores/threads of a 3700x would benefit. My advice is, if you're single tasking, to go with R5 3600/B550 motherboard (when it comes out) and 2 x 8gb kit of memory. Then dump the rest of your budget into best RTX graphics card you can afford. However keep in mind, what graphics card you choose should be solely dependent on your monitors resolution and refresh rate. For your...
Aug 23, 2019
Other than higher fps, what are you looking to gain from an upgrade? Just "future" proofing? I would argue that if you don't need an upgrade right now, wait for RTX 3000 coming probably next year.
Exactly that, 'future proofing'. I believe the CPU (i5-7600K) is currently bottle necking my system which is why I'm looking to upgrade so I thought I'd check everything else at the same time. I agree with your point regarding waiting for the RTX 3000 series.

I'm currently running 2x1080p 24" 144Hz monitors so I guess I'm covered.

ya i would say your fine chances if you ever run into performance issues it will be most likely cause the game is very badly coded

example

looking at assassins creed odyssey being one of the most beautiful but also most pain in the ass thing to run performance can flop all over the place depending on the area and some areas will make the gpu just nose dive to 10 frames

id personally only recomend jumping to ryzen platform as its clear atm that intel has not learned its lesson about security of its hardware as its been shown that most security exploits affect intel across the board and only like 2 or so only affect amd the issue is that in order to get around this issue microsoft and intel have to send out software patches which in turn drops the cpus perforance

zombieload/spectre/meltdown to name a few

zombieload being the worst as it effects hyperthreading and it doesnt work on amds but it does effect intels due to intels design

and since this effects processors as far as 2008 that is a big issue

patches can be broken or in some cases avoided cause this is a hardware level problem.

recomend
x570 motherboard
and a ryzen 3600 is what id recomend

but id wait till the pricing comes down a bit as currently the x570 is still quite highly priced

Reactions: Brackstonee
Aug 23, 2019
id personally only recomend jumping to ryzen platform as its clear atm that intel has not learned its lesson about security of its hardware as its been shown that most security exploits affect intel across the board and only like 2 or so only affect amd the issue is that in order to get around this issue microsoft and intel have to send out software patches which in turn drops the cpus perforance

zombieload being the worst as it effects hyperthreading and it doesnt work on amds but it does effect intels due to intels design

patches can be broken or in some cases avoided cause this is a hardware level problem.

recomend
x570 motherboard

but id wait till the pricing comes down a bit as currently the x570 is still quite highly priced
I've been looking at the 3700X but am being drawn towards the 3600. What are the main differences apart from the obvious speed and price?

recomend
x570 motherboard

Ryzen has only been out for for almost 4 years now, which is a new platform. Ryzen based vulnerabilities haven't been discovered yet.

If you're strictly gaming or video editing, the R5 3600 is a great cpu (the BEST in it's price category) that will last you a good 5 years easy (EVEN MORE). Its only when you start multitasking is where the extra cores/threads of a 3700x would benefit. My advice is, if you're single tasking, to go with R5 3600/B550 motherboard (when it comes out) and 2 x 8gb kit of memory. Then dump the rest of your budget into best RTX graphics card you can afford. However keep in mind, what graphics card you choose should be solely dependent on your monitors resolution and refresh rate. For your monitor above, playing triple A titles at 1080p 144hz, my recommendation is the above combo with a RTX 2080 or used GTX 1080 ti if you can find one. The latest triple A titles like Metro Exodus are very GPU dominant and make anything lower "sweat" meaning it will be difficult to maintain fps high enough to match that refresh rate. If you factor in the amount of years you'd like to maintain FPS matched to your monitor's refresh rate (preferably on ultra graphical settings), then it is justified. If you don't mind lowering graphical detail, a RTX 2070(s) would be sufficient also.

Solution
Aug 23, 2019
If you're strictly gaming or video editing, the R5 3600 is a great cpu (the BEST in it's price category) that will last you a good 5 years easy (EVEN MORE). Its only when you start multitasking is where the extra cores/threads of a 3700x would benefit. My advice is, if you're single tasking, to go with R5 3600/B550 motherboard (when it comes out) and 2 x 8gb kit of memory. Then dump the rest of your budget into best RTX graphics card you can afford. However keep in mind, what graphics card you choose should be solely dependent on your monitors resolution and refresh rate. For your monitor above, playing triple A titles at 1080p 144hz, my recommendation is the above combo with a RTX 2080 or used GTX 1080 ti if you can find one. The latest triple A titles like Metro Exodus are very GPU dominant and make anything lower "sweat" meaning it will be difficult to maintain fps high enough to match that refresh rate. If you factor in the amount of years you'd like to maintain FPS matched to your monitor's refresh rate (preferably on ultra graphical settings), then it is justified. If you don't mind lowering graphical detail, a RTX 2070(s) would be sufficient also.
I think I'm going to wait for the 3000 series from Nvidia as I will probably upgrade my monitors at the same time. With regards to CPU what would you define as multitasking? Are we talking rendering and gaming at the same time or just something as simple as gaming and browsing?

I think I'm going to wait for the 3000 series from Nvidia as I will probably upgrade my monitors at the same time. With regards to CPU what would you define as multitasking? Are we talking rendering and gaming at the same time or just something as simple as gaming and browsing?
Not gaming and browsing because browsing is more memory dependent. A good example is streaming games on top of playing them. Your plan on 3000 series nvidia and graphics card combo is sound. Just make sure your power supply is sufficient (650w Gold).

Aug 23, 2019
Not gaming and browsing because browsing is more memory dependent. A good example is streaming games on top of playing them. Your plan on 3000 series nvidia and graphics card combo is sound. Just make sure your power supply is sufficient (650w Gold).
So to allow myself the option of streaming and playing would you recommend the 3700X over the 3600?

I have a Corsair RMx650 so I am prepared in that department.

So to allow myself the option of streaming and playing would you recommend the 3700X over the 3600?

I have a Corsair RMx650 so I am prepared in that department.
Yes I would, or even the R9 3900x dependant upon stream quality and resolution. Triple A titles can make use of all 8 cores/16 threads, so going with a few extra cores to future proof wouldn't be a bad idea, to compensate for the additional stream processing overhead. Don't get me wrong, the 3700x would be plenty to achieve this.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm currently running 2x1080p 24" 144Hz monitors so I guess I'm covered.

Wait, do you game on one monitor and do other things on the other monitor, or are you gaming across both screens (effectively playing the games at 3840x1080)?

If only on one, you're fine. The 1070 was generally a high-to-max details at 2560x1440 @ 60fps card. So, for a lot of modern games, it's probably good for around 90-100 fps (that's a VERY rough estimate) on a single 1920x1080 monitor. More if you're not maxing out the details.

If you do notice any performance issues, it's possible the CPU is holding you back, depending on the game.

Oh, and Ashes of the Singularity - that brutalizes all video cards.

Generally, though, if things play fine, enjoy your system. When you start noticing performance issues, then start to track down why, and then maybe determine if a hardware upgrade is needed.

EDIT: or if your needs changed, as with the gaming-and-streaming scenario. Which I apparently didn't read all the way down this thread before answering . . whoops!