Question is there any point upgrading graphics card without new CPU?

May 17, 2019
okay, even though i built my pc and this might be a stupid question but i got a decent pc

Gtx 1080
Intel Core I7-6700K Processor

However i want the RTX but i cannot afford to get a new cpu and motherboard. so what i am asking, is there any point in getting a new graphics card without a new cpu?

May 17, 2019
A new GPU will carry over when you do upgrade the CPU/motherboard.

What is your current GPU not doing for you?
I just want to eventually upgrade my pc slowly and i am thinking of getting 1440p monitors now. i just can't afford getting all at the same time so i was thinking getting the graphics card first before saving up for the motherboard and cpu.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That is a pretty good combo you have, and it's no slouch at running 1440p either.
I believe you'd just be throwing $$$ away trying to upgrade the gpu now. Wait for the next gen - whenever that will be.

Otherwise, IMO, the only card worth(lol) considering is the 2080ti. Cost being the biggest issue... I'd also suggest overclocking the cpu as well.
There's also the 2080, but depending on the games/apps you use, it may not be a worthwhile upgrade(it's on par with 1080ti).

Save your money, or if you're still using HDDs, considering replacing those with SSDs instead - they've become much more affordable.

May 17, 2019
That is a pretty good combo you have, and it's no slouch at running 1440p either.
I believe you'd just be throwing $$$ away trying to upgrade the gpu now. Wait for the next gen - whenever that will be.

Otherwise, IMO, the only card worth(lol) considering is the 2080ti. Cost being the biggest issue... I'd also suggest overclocking the cpu as well.
There's also the 2080, but depending on the games/apps you use, it may not be a worthwhile upgrade(it's on par with 1080ti).

Save your money, or if you're still using HDDs, considering replacing those with SSDs instead - they've become much more affordable.
Okay thank you, I'll wait for the next gen then :)