Question Is there any problem changing my psu fan with a 3pin fan and just plugging in 2 pins in the connector and one to remain out?

Dec 14, 2022
I want to change my PSU fan Gigabyte P450B because it has a strange noise and the hole to lube it doesn t exist so i don t have any other option then replace it with a new one but i don t find one with a 2 pin connector only 4 or 3 and i was wondering if i get one with 3 pins and just plug 2 pins letting the one controlling the speed out, would that work? If you guys got any other typs on how i can lube the fan or replace it please respond.

Dec 14, 2022
That would work as the fan only needs the 5-12V pin and the ground pin. You should however make sure the header supplies enough voltage to spin the fan up and consider that the fan might be loud due to not being connected to a speed sensor.

On a side note, if you are not experienced with electronics I would advise not opening up the PSU (danger of electrocution) and sending it off under warranty if its still applicable.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I want to change my PSU fan Gigabyte P450B because it has a strange noise and the hole to lube it doesn t exist so i don t have any other option then replace it with a new one but i don t find one with a 2 pin connector only 4 or 3 and i was wondering if i get one with 3 pins and just plug 2 pins letting the one controlling the speed out, would that work? If you guys got any other typs on how i can lube the fan or replace it please respond.
You should never open a power supply. If something is wrong with it then send it in for warranty. If the warranty is out then replace it.

Without knowing a specific person's skill level nobody on this forum should say different.

Reactions: Curry_Cat

TRENDING THREADS