[SOLVED] Is there any problem if I keep my WiFi adapter plugged in 24/7?

THE_TECH_GEEK

Reputable
Jun 3, 2019
Hi guys so I recently bought a USB wireless wifi adapter and normally keep my wifi adapter plugged in all the time and I usually don't unplug it even when shutting down my pc, Its plugged in 24/7
so will the wifi adapter get damaged or overheat by keeping it plugged in all the time or is it fine keeping it plugged in.

Solution
no I don't mean physically getting damaged but will not unplugging the adapter cause any damage to itself such as overheating and such and by the way it is an external USB wifi adapter I have connected to my desktop and not an internal one
We UNDERSTAND that it is a USB device. You don't have to keep explaining that. Even if your PC powered your USB port 24x7, it is no different than if your PC was left on. If it won't overheat when your PC is on, it can't overheat when it is off. The adapter doesn't know the difference.
If it is being powered by the pc it maybe off when you turn off the pc.

This has been the discussion almost since the start of computers. Which is worse being constantly on or the damaged caused by the heat/cool cycle of being turned on and off. There never was a clear answer.

We used to always be sure to have power supplies and extra fans when turned off a rack of computer that had been on for couple years.

THE_TECH_GEEK

Reputable
Jun 3, 2019
If it is being powered by the pc it maybe off when you turn off the pc.

This has been the discussion almost since the start of computers. Which is worse being constantly on or the damaged caused by the heat/cool cycle of being turned on and off. There never was a clear answer.

We used to always be sure to have power supplies and extra fans when turned off a rack of computer that had been on for couple years.
I don't think you understood my question, I was asking about whether plugging my USB wireless wifi adapter 24/7 would be ok.

kanewolf

Titan
please read the question before answering I clearly said its a USB wireless wifi adapter.
its not a internal wifi card
And @bill001g is just saying that internal WIFI adapters are always plugged in without damage. We are trying to understand what specific problem you think leaving it plugged in will have? The only possible issue I can think of is that it is sticking out from the side of your laptop. That means it could be physically struck and damaged of damage the port. There is no electrical issue with leaving it plugged in.

THE_TECH_GEEK

Reputable
Jun 3, 2019
And @bill001g is just saying that internal WIFI adapters are always plugged in without damage. We are trying to understand what specific problem you think leaving it plugged in will have? The only possible issue I can think of is that it is sticking out from the side of your laptop. That means it could be physically struck and damaged of damage the port. There is no electrical issue with leaving it plugged in.
no I don't mean physically getting damaged but will not unplugging the adapter cause any damage to itself such as overheating and such and by the way it is an external USB wifi adapter I have connected to my desktop and not an internal one

kanewolf

Titan
We UNDERSTAND that it is a USB device. You don't have to keep explaining that. Even if your PC powered your USB port 24x7, it is no different than if your PC was left on. If it won't overheat when your PC is on, it can't overheat when it is off. The adapter doesn't know the difference.

Solution
Jan 4, 2023
Hi guys so I recently bought a USB wireless wifi adapter and normally keep my wifi adapter plugged in all the time and I usually don't unplug it even when shutting down my pc, Its plugged in 24/7
so will the wifi adapter get damaged or overheat by keeping it plugged in all the time or is it fine keeping it plugged in.
So did you get the answer 🙂 i have same queation as i bought recently.