Is there any problem to combine i9 9900k with 3200mhz ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2018
I am looking to create a pc with i9 9900k and I want to combine it with dual channel 3200mhz in ram speed, so I am asking if my whole system is better than using a dual channel 2666mhz.

Is there any difference or the ram will not be fully used?

Solution
Fortunately for Intel, going based on QVL doesn't really matter. Intel's architecture is very good and very flexible when it comes to memory speed and memory model.

Another plus for Intel, is that 3200mhz doesn't really provide that much of a performance boost vs 2666mhz. There will be some difference for sure, but I am personally not totally sure it's worth the jump. I suggest you look at benchmarks online of 2666 vs 3200.

Also a reminder, NOTHING above the 9900ks guaranteed memory speed of 2666mhz is guaranteed to be stable. So even with a moderately average speed of 3200MHz, I recommend running memtest86 and/or Prime95 with memory intensive configuration to insure stability.
Nov 11, 2018
The motherboard i am looking to buy supports 3200mhz ram speed and ofcourse the ram i am looking to buy, but i want to know if it would be bad to buy a higher speed ram than intel mention in his site

Fortunately for Intel, going based on QVL doesn't really matter. Intel's architecture is very good and very flexible when it comes to memory speed and memory model.

Another plus for Intel, is that 3200mhz doesn't really provide that much of a performance boost vs 2666mhz. There will be some difference for sure, but I am personally not totally sure it's worth the jump. I suggest you look at benchmarks online of 2666 vs 3200.

Also a reminder, NOTHING above the 9900ks guaranteed memory speed of 2666mhz is guaranteed to be stable. So even with a moderately average speed of 3200MHz, I recommend running memtest86 and/or Prime95 with memory intensive configuration to insure stability.

Solution

you almost make is sound wrong to bother checking the motherboard manufacturer's QVL list

how exactly does it hurt to confirm the mobo mfgr confirms a given memory model is compatible?

It's not wrong, but on Intel platforms it often isn't necessary, as Intel chips don't typically have the same memory compatibility problems that AMD's chips have. Checking the QVL for Intel is kind of only relevant when you get to the super high speed kits eg. 4000MHz or higher and even then whether the RAM will work at that speed is more dependent on your CPU's memory controller quality than anything else.

I never said it was wrong. I said it is not always necessary.

I've built nearly 20 intel systems over the past decade, not once for those systems did I check the QVL list. Never once did I ever have a memory problem with one of those machines.

Even if it's on the QVL list (typically the highest speed ram on the QVL list) there is still a tiny tiny chance that the memory could be slightly unstable. Thus, it's always good to do a stress test on the memory if you really want to make sure your stable.

TechyinAZ - granted my experience doesn't match yours so i'm not as computer literate, but the motherboard mfgr went to the trouble to publish those QVLs for a reason and i assume it's wasn't a "make work" excercise to keep their techs busy.

You may be entirely correct in your assessment, but you're leaving one item out of your consideration - if / when a user has an issue with their motherboard and is talking to mfgr's tech svc, it sure makes it hard for the mobo mfgr to send that customer away when he used ram listed on their QVL

For that reason alone, i wouldn't be so quick to discount the QVL, especially to someone new to computers

Status
Not open for further replies.