[SOLVED] Is there any problem with this?

Mar 24, 2019
I´m planning to buy an RTX 2060 but my PSU only has 6 pin connectors, if I buy a 6 pin to 8 pin adaptor for the graphics card what are the possible side effects?

Solution
Worst case the general side effect could be damaging your PSU, therefore your GPU, or simply not giving it enough power.

I would recommend AGAINST using an adaptor because in effect, if your PSU does not have the correct connection, it probably wasn't made to power that kind of graphics card.

What is the make and model of your PSU?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Worst case the general side effect could be damaging your PSU, therefore your GPU, or simply not giving it enough power.

I would recommend AGAINST using an adaptor because in effect, if your PSU does not have the correct connection, it probably wasn't made to power that kind of graphics card.

What is the make and model of your PSU?

Solution

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Eurotech is one I haven't ever really come across - and from the quick research I have done, that is not a good power supply unit.

I would not use this PSU myself even if it did have a 6+2pin connector, so personally, I definitely wouldn't use it with an additional adaptor.

I know this can seem like a used car sales pitch, but if it doesn't have a 6+2, then it's probably not adequately made to actually power modern GPUs, and if you take the risk, you hugely risk damaging the PSU, which (of that quality) can easily take out your other components too.

Mar 24, 2019
The PSU is really bad because this was a budget PC I got for Christmas and I didn´t think much of it at the time, but now that I want to upgrade it´s becoming a little more difficult, so I think I will just buy a new PSU too.
And I just did some research too and I can´t really find too much information about Eurotech either next time I will look more into the components and see if they are from a trustworthy company.
Anyway. thank you for advising me.

Reactions: PC Tailor