Question Is there any reason to consider a Radeon VII?

g-unit1111 Don't do it. If you look at all the reputable hardware reviewers on YouTube, you'll hear a slew of the problems that are plaguing that card: loud, power hungry, inconsistent performance. I was looking at the card to, but it occurred to me that it's simply a marketing place holder, until AMD brings out Navi.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Nope....unless you are doing professional work and need that 16GB, but for gaming total overkill. As mentioned above, look at serious reviews and you know. There is zero real-life gaming application on the market that need more than 8GB of ram. Even 11 or 12 GB is basically overkill. Well, everyone is talking about future proofing. But I don't think anything will change until a new generation of gaming consoles will appear. but we are at least 1.5 to 2.5 years away from that.

Radeon VII is loud, not efficient, has too much Vram, looses in most games against 2080 by 10 to 15% (only in a few games is on the same level or slightly ahead), and is lacking RTX and Tensor features (what is not a big deal, but a nice to have). If the Radeon VII would be $200 less than it would be a good option. But not for the same price as an RTX 2080.

g-unit1111

Titan
g-unit1111 Don't do it. If you look at all the reputable hardware reviewers on YouTube, you'll hear a slew of the problems that are plaguing that card: loud, power hungry, inconsistent performance. I was looking at the card to, but it occurred to me that it's simply a marketing place holder, until AMD brings out Navi.

So is Navi going to be out this year or will it be long into next year before we see it?

Also I was looking at some used 1080TIs but I am kind of skeptical about buying used.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
FYI, I was reading someone arguing that although the VII may not win in average fps, it provides less frame rate variability/better 1% or 0.1% frame rates than the competition. And thus has a value proposition in providing smoother framerates.

Take this with a grain of salt though, as I never took the time to go through reviews to see if this claim really holds up, and the person stating it was on the AMD subreddit so probably not entirely neutral. And even if it's true, I'm not sure that's enough to make the card worthwhile.

Last edited:

crystalcity

Proper
Dec 5, 2018
The only reason it even exists is because the 2070 and 2080's are priced so dang high. The extra ram is as useless as the RT at this point. Personally if I'm having to choose between those two useless things for future possibilities, I'll take the ram. But I'd rather wait than take either.

g-unit1111

Titan
The only reason it even exists is because the 2070 and 2080's are priced so dang high. The extra ram is as useless as the RT at this point. Personally if I'm having to choose between those two useless things for future possibilities, I'll take the ram. But I'd rather wait than take either.

I've seen some 2080 models going around the $700 mark on Newegg like the EVGA that I've been looking at: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487415&ignorebbr=1

Alternately I've been considering going the used route and looking on eBay for a used 1080TI - which I could get around the $500 mark, would that be a better investment at this point?

I've seen some 2080 models going around the $700 mark on Newegg like the EVGA that I've been looking at: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487415&ignorebbr=1

Alternately I've been considering going the used route and looking on eBay for a used 1080TI - which I could get around the $500 mark, would that be a better investment at this point?
I did exactly that. Purchased a used GTX 1080 TI MSI Duke OC free shipping for $550. Just make sure its from a reputable seller and has a return policy. The reason I chose this option was because of how insanely priced the RTX line was. So if you can snag a used GTX 1080 TI for $550 or less, that is a great deal and will be the best bang for your buck period. You're essentially getting similar performance to a RTX 2080 for a lot less.