Is there any software that can see, how many watts my computer is loading?

onni313

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
Im planning to buy gtx 1070 ti, but im not sure is it 100% safe cause of my 500w psu. It loads about 180w and nvidia recommends a 500w psu, but i just want to be sure, that i will not get any problems. I've tried these ''PSU Calculator'' websites, but i dont trust them. This got me wondering, is there any softwares that can calculate everything, and see how much the whole computer is loading? Here's my specs, if someone needs them.
btw, i dont overclock
CPU: I7 4771
PSU: SilverStone 500w Strider 80+
RAM: DDR3 16GB 1600Mhz Fury
Mobo: AsRock Z97 Anniversary
SSD: Samusung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
2 screens, 1 mouse, 1 keyboard
6 fans

Solution
It's "enough" in the sense that if you install a 1070 Ti and run a game/stress test it probably won't immediately shut down or blow up. That doesn't mean it won't next week, or a couple months from now. It also depends on how old the PSU is. According to the following review, that PSU only has a one year warranty (in North America anyway), which tells you how much faith Silverstone has in the unit.

The protection features would keep the rest of your PC safe in theory. Reality may be different. For example, they probably set their thresholds for over power protection based on the rated amperage of the PSU (408W). However, cheap PSUs aren't always able to supply their rated amperage safely, especially as they age. So you could have...

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
That PSU is only rated for 34A (408W) on the 12V rail, which is where the vast majority of power comes from in a modern PSU. So your PSU is closer to a 400W than a 500W. I'd get a better PSU if you're going to get a 1070 Ti, especially if you want to overclock.

There are monitoring utilities that will report CPU and GPU power draw. I don't know how accurate they are. You can also buy something like a kill-a-watt meter, which would tell you your total system power draw.

You defiantly want to get a better quality PSU then that if you are getting a GTX 1070Ti.

The one you have isn't good at all.

onni313

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017

+12v rail is for the components that takes most of the power, and the 1070 ti takes almost half of the 408w. So it should be enough, or what is your opininon?

If you like your computer and that new GPU you are thinking of buying get a new better quality PSU or you risk losing both.

Or you don't have to listen to us and burn up that brand new $400+ graphics card and maybe your MB along with it.

That choice is all yours.

onni313

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017

Yes, it is my choice, but im just asking for facts. The PSU would just shut off, if it gets over its limit (Over Power Protection, Over Voltage Protection, Short Circuit Protection, Under voltage protection (V1.0). But if the PSU is not enough, the budget would go over its limit too. My Question now was, that is the power enough?

Doesn't work that way with junk PSU's.

We see fried GPU's and machines here just about everyday.

We have been polite getting you get a new PSU.

That PSU you have is complete garbage, we are trying to save your PC.

onni313

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017

Maybe, because they dont have these ''Protections''. Getting a new psu would be the safest way, but as i said, the budget would go over the limit. As i said, the question was now is the psu enough.

No, it's really not.

There aren't any good quality 450w to 500w PSU's on the market, not really these days that are available.

The min would be a good quality 550W.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
It's "enough" in the sense that if you install a 1070 Ti and run a game/stress test it probably won't immediately shut down or blow up. That doesn't mean it won't next week, or a couple months from now. It also depends on how old the PSU is. According to the following review, that PSU only has a one year warranty (in North America anyway), which tells you how much faith Silverstone has in the unit.

The protection features would keep the rest of your PC safe in theory. Reality may be different. For example, they probably set their thresholds for over power protection based on the rated amperage of the PSU (408W). However, cheap PSUs aren't always able to supply their rated amperage safely, especially as they age. So you could have the PSU fail during a load that's too low to trip it's protection circuitry, and who knows what will happen to your other components then.

Solution

onni313

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017

Thank you, for coming to the point. I will try to get a good high wattage psu, only for safety purposes.

onni313

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017

Thank you for this! I will buy the 1070 ti, and try to get a better psu as fast as i can. Btw, the warranty is 3yrs in here, in Finland. Have a nice end of the year, and christmas to you both!

Just don't put in the Graphics card until you get the new PSU.