Is there any special instructions to have both ps4 & xbox one hardwired on same network?

Sean_90

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2016
Xbox one X and Ps4 pro are hardwired into my netgear r7000 router. Do I have to setup anything special in the router to make these two function properly?? Seems I have lag issues with online gaming and live TV streaming when both are on and connected at the same time. I have upnp on. Xbox NAT is "open" and Ps4 is "Type 2"

Solution
If properly configured the Xbox one and the PS4 Pro should be able to co-exist.

Verify that each device is configured to match your router's configuration.

However if the two combined are demanding more bandwidth than available then you will have lag.

Check that you are using Cat 5e cables from the devices to the router. And router to modem as well. Even if already Cat 5e there could still be a faulty cable slowing things down.

You might be able to do some sort of QoS adjustments to favor one device over the other. Maybe give gaming the advantage where the lagging has a greater impact versus streaming.

And do remember that the lags could be occurring once outside of your network.

Try pathping and tracert targeting the...

Ralston18

Titan
If properly configured the Xbox one and the PS4 Pro should be able to co-exist.

Verify that each device is configured to match your router's configuration.

However if the two combined are demanding more bandwidth than available then you will have lag.

Check that you are using Cat 5e cables from the devices to the router. And router to modem as well. Even if already Cat 5e there could still be a faulty cable slowing things down.

You might be able to do some sort of QoS adjustments to favor one device over the other. Maybe give gaming the advantage where the lagging has a greater impact versus streaming.

And do remember that the lags could be occurring once outside of your network.

Try pathping and tracert targeting the streaming and gaming websites. Note where the delays occur.

Solution

Sean_90

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2016
For both to have open nat and on at the same time?

Isn't upnp much safer since it only opens ports when needed whereas port forwarding leaves the port open always?