[SOLVED] is there any thing i can do to balance temperature between cores?

ottis

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
my cpu is amd 5800x.
new build system.
one of my cores go higher then others.
it get significantly higher when on load.
the thing is that it's make my cpu fan spin faster and noisy.
i already set the fan curve on bios a bit flatter.
but sometimes, for example when i use servilo streaming along with chrome ( which is also power hungry) that core goes up to 80+ Celsius while others does not cross 50 c.
actually it's no while streaming with servilo, but when the app makes defragging.
i read here that it's normal that one core will work harder ( which is btw stupid to me) since many programs are single core.
actually i am not sure if its actually the core since it say on hwmonitor "tmpin".
someone here wrote:
"not anything useful you can do about it either.
well, I suppose in your overclock settings you could reduce the multiplier for the hot core. ".
i'm not doing o.c but my XMP is enabled.
the question ifs if there any thing i can do to spread the load between cores?

Last edited:
Solution
Ryzen master is kind of an app/program?
i use HWMonitor.
edit: o.k i found this.
actually i don't think that i am kind of a user to use it.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALjTA-k3TZc
RyzenMaster is an overclocking program released by AMD. It's intended audience is extreme overclockers, as those who engage in overclocking demonstrations and competitions. It's not really a tool for 24/7 users, although many do.

HWMonitor isn't always Ryzen friendly as it's frequently in error and not well understood what many of it's sensor reports really are.

The best tool to use is HWInfo64. In addition to a massive load of sensor data it explains what many (most) of the reports are in tool-tip...

Lutfij

Titan
Defragging? You shouldn't defrag your SSD unless you want it to die prematurely. As for an HDD defragmentation, I'd advise against that too. Enabling X.M.P is overclocking your rams, mind you(and the memory controller on the CPU). Make and model of your motherboard and the cooler you're using to cool that processor? Make and model of your chassis and the airflow in it? Is PBO enabled in BIOS? Speaking of BIOS, BIOS version at the time of writing?

USAFRet

Titan
That is completely up to the software in question.

How high, and what is "significantly"?

Most applications will only use 1 core. Obviously, that will increase the workload on that particular core.
The system is designed like this, and this is NOT a problem.

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
How hot is the CPU package?

A CPU shouldn't be able to maintain 1 core at 80c whereas the others are at 50c. It's likely that the core's temperature probe is damaged, either during assembly or during production. Warranty of any kind should take care of that.

If it's not a sensor issue, then its likely that all of your programs are using that core.

ottis

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
i will comment together.
defragging is something the servilo streaming app doing, not me.
it streams from my pc to the tv.
there were times while it doing it with 80c. while other were around 50-55.
and the cpu usage of this program was around 99%. there are a lot posts of people with the same details issue.
it happen only when that app defragging videos
the cpu is brand new, don't think it damaged.
it works fine on other times.
i know that it's not a problem.
as i said the only thing that annoying me is the fan noise when the temp go high.
i already set the fan carve not to spike the fan speed below 60c.
i'm not sure that flatter it more like to 70-80 its a good idea.
the only question that i'm asking is there a way to balance the load between cores, or not.

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
i will comment together.
defragging is something the servilo streaming app doing, not me.
it streams from my pc to the tv.
there were times while it doing it with 80c. whuke other were around 50-55.
the cpu is brand new, don't think it damaged.
it works fine on other times.
i know that it's not a problem.
as i said the only thing that annoying me is the fan noise when the temp go high.
i already set the fan carve not to spike the fan speed below 60c.
i'm not sure that flatter it more like to 70-80 its a good idea.
the only question that i'm asking is there a way to balance the load between cores, or not.
Just because it's new doesn't mean it's not damaged, it could have a manufacturing defect in one of the cores' sensors. Also, what is the package temperature? If the sensor is fine, it should be between 60-70c.

my cpu is amd 5800x.
new build system.
the thing is that it's make my cpu fan spin faster and noisy.
i already set the fan curve on bios a bit flatter.
but sometimes, for example when i use servilo streaming along with chrome ( which is also power hungry) that core goes up to 80+ Celsius while others does not cross 50 c.
actually it's no while streaming with servilo, but when the app makes defragging.
i read here that it's normal that one core will work harder ( which is btw stupid to me) since many programs are single core.
actually i am not sure if its actually the core since it say on hwmonitor "tmpin".
someone here wrote:
"not anything useful you can do about it either.
well, I suppose in your overclock settings you could reduce the multiplier for the hot core. ".
i'm not doing o.c but my XMP is enabled.

The issue you have sounds like poor CPU cooling to me. It might be time to invest in a quality CPU cooler and possibly work on your case airflow. If the CPU fan is ramping up to a noisy level even with just one core loaded then your CPU cooler simply lacks the thermal mass to handle the CPU heat.

ottis

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Just because it's new doesn't mean it's not damaged, it could have a manufacturing defect in one of the cores' sensors. Also, what is the package temperature? If the sensor is fine, it should be between 60-70c.
you are absolutely right, but i don't think it's the case here.
most of the time it works fine, and the temps go high for a reason i can see.

ottis

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
The issue you have sounds like poor CPU cooling to me. It might be time to invest in a quality CPU cooler and possibly work on your case airflow. If the CPU fan is ramping up to a noisy level even with just one core loaded then your CPU cooler simply lacks the thermal mass to handle the CPU heat.
i don't think it's the reason.
i have a very good quality cooling and case.

ottis

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
No, there is not.

That is completely up to the software.
thanks.
what do you mean by software?
i didn't mean to touch any hardware cause i don't see any reason to do it.
as people wrote here and other places, and i agree, it's not a problem with anything in my system
is there a software way to do what i asked?

USAFRet

Titan
thanks.
what do you mean by software?
i didn't mean to touch any hardware cause i don't see any reason to do it.
as people wrote here and other places, and i agree, it's not a problem with anything in my system
is there a software way to do what i asked?
Software will use whatever and how many cores it is written to use.

A random game will NOT automagically use all cores and distribute the load across.
Some games and applications will use multiple cores, some not.

There is nothing you can do to change that...it is written into the code.

Reactions: ottis

ottis

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Software will use whatever and how many cores it is written to use.

A random game will NOT automagically use all cores and distribute the load across.
Some games and applications will use multiple cores, some not.

There is nothing you can do to change that...it is written into the code.
btw i am not gaming.
i thought that you mean that there is some software setting that i can control a different load to each core.
someone wrote at some forum that its something Typical to AMD processors, but i saw people with intel complaining about the same subject.

Gaming or otherwise, makes no difference.

The particular application will use what it is written and compiled to use.
And so...what does CPPC and Windows' scheduler do in all this?

If you recall...CPPC (Collaborative Processor Performance Control) was AMD's scheme for communicating the core ranking order, fuzed in during binning, to the operating system so that the scheduler can order the load to cores based on performance order. I'm sure a programmer can dictate thread or core ordering...but in the absence of that doesn't the scheduler do it?

With my 3700X (at least) I see that happening as in light to moderate work the preferred order is being followed, with behavior very much as OP describes. Of course, with Zen2 it's a bit more complicated since the scheduler has to consider shared resources (like L3 cache). It does that by converting the fuzed in core ranking into a Core Performance Order (HWInfo64 lays that out pretty clearly in it's data). Zen 3 (consolidated caches) makes that easier, so how it works is a bit of a mystery to me.

Last edited:
what you are saying is that there is no way to control the load of each of the cores?
So..well...yah there is in a way... open up task manager, details tab, right click on the process you want to 'manage' and set or limit the CPU affinity (windows considers hyper-threads a CPU). All it does is limits which CPU's (cores) the process can use, so not exactly what you want.

And then there's this: Process Lasso https://bitsum.com/ . I've never heard of anyone having any luck with it but you can play with it if you want. But IMO, you're way better off keeping the chipset drivers up to date and letting the Windows scheduler do it's thing. The CPU knows how to protect itself.

But ultimately: the process only launches as many processing threads as it's programmed for. There is nothing you can do to spread a single-thread process over more than one CPU core simulataneously, although the scheduler will move the process to a different thread/core from time to time. But left alone (no interfering with TaskManager) it will use preferred cores as determined by ranking established when the CPU was binned.

Last edited:
Reactions: dorsai

ottis

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
sorry , my english is not perfect.
what do you mean by "actual performance hit "?
what i meant is if one core takes the most effort it will probably effect it's life time.

personally i think its not a very clever design to strain most of the time one core.

It's not straining one core all the time...as soon as temp or load exceed the AMD limits the load will shift to other cores. If you watch the cores in Ryzen Master while you're using the PC you'll see this happening...the load is constantly moving around between cores when temp, voltage, and frequency limits are hit.