is there any truth to this????

That Xigmatek 750W is $133 after shipping. You can have a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W (tier 1) for $110 or a Corsair 750TX (tier 2) for $100.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703019&Tpk=SIlencer+750W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006&Tpk=750TX

That list puts the Corsair TX series in tier 2, but from the reviews I've read the 750TX is just as worthy of tier 1 as the PC Power & Cooling 750W. Oh well, I'm not a PSU expert, and hopefully whoever put the list together is.

Just curious, what is your setup?

Edit: that list is funny, where exactly does the Silencer 610W fit in it?

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
The list is directly from that wiki list...its slightly outdated.

Personally Silverstone does not deserve Tier 1.
Best place to check PSUs is jonnyguru or Hard OCP.
Xigmatek is a CWT build. Same as the Corsair HX 1000 and the Thermaltake 1000 and 1200 but i have not seen a good review on it. Should be great

Edit: Imo, the best PSUs out are Corsair, Thermaltake above 750, Antec Signature, Ultra X3 1000
Zalman, Gigabyte Odin and the PC P&C are also good

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Lists like this for graphics cards and power supplies are some what useful for none power users, but things are too inconsistent and opinion oriented with this sort of thing. Like most card lists will put the GTX+ ahead of the 4850 just because nvidia wants you to think its better, not because it is (latency issues overcome the clock boost). Not to mention they don't look at filter performance, which could place the 4870 ahead of the 280 GTX. It's all about your needs. As for this psu list, an example would be this http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ4Nyw5LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA== HX 1000w Corsair that def. belongs in tier one. So rule of thumb is that while helpful, all these lists can only be considered approximations.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Yea for best results look at specific PSU ratings
Not all the companies models use the same parts so the 600W version shouldnt get the same as the 800W version etc.
Also some use smaller parts but overwatt them (ex. Quattro 850 and 1000). The 850 is fine but at times the 1000 gets overworked cause they use the same 850 Watt parts

One thing I don't like on that list is that noise details are not shown. For example there are a couple of PSUs listed in tier 1 which are perfect for servers but too noisy IMO for a PC used for movies and music and even games.

jonj320

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Just curious, what is your setup?

right now im running with a q6600, msi P6N diamond mobo, 4 gigs ddr2 800 ram, 8800gts, and a 700w OCZ psu. I was going to sell my psu becuase it only has 2 6pin pcie conectors, and i need a 8pin conector for the 4870x2. i was selling the psu for around $100 so i would only b paying a few more dollars for the new psu. I am also looking at HDDs becuase my last 2 died, and i am going to upgrade to the nahelm or i7 when that comes out, so i figured 750w with the right conectors would be good.

jonj320

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Also i was wondering if modular cables were any good. i like the idea of less clutter in my case. this was the main reason i was looking at the XIGMATEK psu. i dont mind paying a few more dollard than the 2 other PSUs that aevm mentioned. but if modular cabling is no good than i think i will go with one of aevm's suggestions. Thanks!

jonj320

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
awesome, thanks. i think i am either going with the modular cabling xigmatek i listed before or the corsair aevm sugested

750W sounds like a good choice for your setup. All right.

As for modular vs non-modular - try to figure out how many cables you're actually going to use. If you're using most of them anyway, a modular PSU won't add much value. If only a few, then yes, it helps.

sciggy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Another key thing to look at is the 12v amperage. Sometimes these PSUs have 4 12v rails and they dont add up the amperage. Depending on GPU and CPU you may need higher 12v rails and its good to have a single rail like a PCP&C gives you. Just food for thought.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

Well to be completely fair, Ii doesn't list all Silverstone's as being tier 1, now does it?

It specifically says only a couple models, and in that only a few ranges, so it's not saying all silverstone PSU's are tier 1...

The list is dated, but not a bad place to start. If the model you are considering isn't listed, I'd consider it acceptable if the manufacturer has nothing below tier-3; likely they've got a rep they aren't going to risk by releasing junk.
The best site for PSU reviews is www.jonnyguru.com. Their testing methods are thorough and relevant, and I think humorously written. I just wish they had time to test more PSUs. Last time I looked they had something like 84 reviews, but a couple of them covered multiple units (like the excellent one on cheap PSUs).