[SOLVED] Is there any way I can get a monitor to work with this?

nr0003

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
So I was building a PC with the ryzen 2200g and noticed when I got my motherboard that it didn't have any display port, HDMI, or VGA. So I went on the internet and saw a USB to VGA adapter. So I bought that online and put the PC together so it would be ready when the adapter got here. But then I saw on another thread that it may not post with only that. If I borrow a GPU could I get it set up to work with that? I don't think I could buy a GPU right now since I was hoping that the CPU would work as the GPU since it has integrated Radeon graphics. I'm not sure if I will be able to send the motherboard back since I already have it all together and not sure how the Newegg returns work on that, and can't really buy a new one. I have a feeling that I really messed up here. Any advice would be great.

Edit: The TV I'm using as a monitor has a USB port could I use a usb-usb connector to get it to work on there? As long as I can get 30 frames I can deal with it until I get a gpu.

Solution
There are actually adapters that convert standard gpus to external use, built mainly for things like laptops and uber tiny nano-boxes, htpc's etc but considering the Vega graphics of that 2200g is actually better than many cheaper gpus, as said, it was really a bonehead move not to include motherboard graphics capability in the first place.

First came Bristol Ridge, integrated graphics designed for the A320 chipset and prebuilts. Then came Summit Ridge, that's Ryzen, no graphics, designed for b350/X370. Then Raven Ridge, the 2200g. So my only guess is that the original budget 350's didn't need graphics, only later thoughts of the Raven Ridge APU's changing that since no one would realistically spend extra for a B350/X370 and pair it...

nr0003

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017

I have the ASRock AB350M AM4 AMD its just a bunch of usb 3.0s. I just assumed that all mobos had some kind of video output.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Well... I actually had to see it before I'd believe it, but that has to be the dumbest thing ever. Why on earth would a motherboard advertise support for an APU and NOT HAVE video outputs????

I don't think those USB to VGA adapters are supposed to be used as a primary display. You can certainly try it, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope. If you're going to try one and it does work, please let us know.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Finally saw this little note on the specs page:

A-Series APU (Bristol Ridge) is supported by connecting external graphics card.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Some of those early Ryzen mobo's were built primarily around the Ryzen cpus, which do not have internal graphics, necessitating a dedicated gpu. So it was cheaper to manufacture boards without graphics. It wasn't until the release of the 2200g/2400g and A series APU's that internal gpus were available for AM4, which are found on the slightly more expensive ab350m pro4, but not on the budget ab350m.

USB should work if you enable full USB in bios at startup, default is full off, partial (mouse/kb) on. That's prolly why initial boots won't work to get into bios, the pc doesn't recognise USB ports until bios is loaded.

nr0003

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017

So just to make sure I understand what you are saying if I were to borrow a gpu for a day I could send the integrated graphics through the usb-vga adapater by changing the bios settings? If so, how would I go about doing it.

nr0003

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017

-_- wow. But ill let you know if i get the usb-vga to work. It is going to get here Thursday at the earliest

nr0003

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017

wait, does external mean dedicated gpu? or is there something else? haven't heard the term external gpu.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There are actually adapters that convert standard gpus to external use, built mainly for things like laptops and uber tiny nano-boxes, htpc's etc but considering the Vega graphics of that 2200g is actually better than many cheaper gpus, as said, it was really a bonehead move not to include motherboard graphics capability in the first place.

First came Bristol Ridge, integrated graphics designed for the A320 chipset and prebuilts. Then came Summit Ridge, that's Ryzen, no graphics, designed for b350/X370. Then Raven Ridge, the 2200g. So my only guess is that the original budget 350's didn't need graphics, only later thoughts of the Raven Ridge APU's changing that since no one would realistically spend extra for a B350/X370 and pair it with an underpowered pos Bristol Ridge APU and forcing Raven Ridge owners to buy a more expensive mobo if overclocking (the A320 is locked) or settling for a cheaper A320 and no OC.

Solution

nr0003

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017

So I borrowed an old graphics card that wasn't being used. And the computer wouldn't even post. I triple checked the cords to make sure that they were all plugged in. And also reset the CMOS. I've been messing with it for the past 4 hours and couldn't get it to work. I was able to put my 2200g into some else's am4 build and it worked and checked RAM also. So i'm just sending the motherboard back. It has been a headache since I got it.