Question Is there any way i can turn my PC off and on without needing to press the power button

Aussie_Wolfhound

Prominent
Jul 12, 2022
First of all my apologies if this is in the wrong section but i'm new here. Ok, i'll try to explain as best i can...

Because of certain medical conditions i have it's painful to walk these days, so i spend most of the day in my living room these days where i have a little setup infront of me.

My PC however is still in my bedroom because most of my stuff is there and there's no room for it in the living room anyway. What i did was get a HDMI splitter, a long high-speed HDMI cord and a long usb extension cable which now go up to the ceiling in my room, across the top of the ceiling cavity to where i am and then down through the ceiling to my little setup where the HDMI cord plugs into a monitor here and i have a usb hub connected to the extension cable so i can have another keyboard and mouse etc. and it actually works great.

Only thing though is from time to time, for some reason, my PC freezes... and given what i said about walking being painful for me now, i came up with a solution that was to buy a power plug adapter that you plug into the wall first and then you plug whatever into it and using an app on your phone you can turn the power off and on remotely... that works perfect.

However i then also have to, obviously, push the power button on the PC too. The solution for that i came up with was to buy a fingerbot... one of these things...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlIY8SVdKSc

You stick it right by whatever button you want pressed and using another app on your phone you make a small "finger" come forward and press it. Only problem is these fingerbots are absolute GARBAGE!

I've now thrown mine in the bin because it's just crap. To finally get to the point... i'm not tech savvy at all (i really just know the basics of PC's) so do any of you know if there's any way i can just cut the power button out?

Like the next time my PC freezes i can just use the power adapter to simply turn the PC off, count to 10 and then turn it back on and the PC will just come on without the need of having to press the power button?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, the BIOS setting that SNR mentions is useful for this kind of thing and probably necessary unless you're going to get very creative electrically. I have that setting on my PCs so my file servers automatically start up again when I'm away from home and there's a power outage at my house from a thunderstorm or something.

For the power itself, they sell surge protectors that come with remote controls, so you could theoretically deal with the power issue that way. Off/on and then the 5V standby on your motherboard detecting that power is returned and rebooting.

However, the best solution might be resolving the source of freezing. It shouldn't be freezing constantly; what are the specs of this PSU? You could have a RAM issue, a temperature issue, a PSU issue or one of a number of other things.

Reactions: Aussie_Wolfhound

Aussie_Wolfhound

Prominent
Jul 12, 2022
BIOS of the pc has options for dealing with power loss and return of power.
It can either remain off or
return to previous state (on/off) it was before power loss.
Set this setting appropriately and pc will turn on automatically.

You can also connect longer cables to power and reset buttons. Those are just momentary switches, that connect 2 contacts.
Appreciate both your replies. My PC doesn't freeze often, just once in a while, but obviously what i said about hurting to walk, it's more annoying... when it does happen. I know absolutely nothing about BIOS, i have friends who live close by who run their own computer repair businesses and i get them to fix anything that comes up (i just posted in here because i was hoping there was like a setting or something i could simply change and it would be an easy fix) I'll ask them tomorrow about what you guys have said, thanks.

Oh and these are my PC specs. I don't even really understand these, lol, so i just keep this wriiten down. Cheers,

Operating System : Windows 10 Home x64
SSD : Samsung 960 Evo M.2 250GB NVMe
Motherboard : ASRock Z390 Pro4
CPU : i5-9400F @ 2.9GHz
GPU : Gigabyte GTX1060 G1 Gaming
RAM : 16GB (DDR4)
Power Supply : Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 600W 80+ Gold

AlbertAZ

Commendable
Oct 5, 2021
First of all my apologies if this is in the wrong section but i'm new here. Ok, i'll try to explain as best i can...

Because of certain medical conditions i have it's painful to walk these days, so i spend most of the day in my living room these days where i have a little setup infront of me.

My PC however is still in my bedroom because most of my stuff is there and there's no room for it in the living room anyway. What i did was get a HDMI splitter, a long high-speed HDMI cord and a long usb extension cable which now go up to the ceiling in my room, across the top of the ceiling cavity to where i am and then down through the ceiling to my little setup where the HDMI cord plugs into a monitor here and i have a usb hub connected to the extension cable so i can have another keyboard and mouse etc. and it actually works great.

Only thing though is from time to time, for some reason, my PC freezes... and given what i said about walking being painful for me now, i came up with a solution that was to buy a power plug adapter that you plug into the wall first and then you plug whatever into it and using an app on your phone you can turn the power off and on remotely... that works perfect.

However i then also have to, obviously, push the power button on the PC too. The solution for that i came up with was to buy a fingerbot... one of these things...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlIY8SVdKSc

You stick it right by whatever button you want pressed and using another app on your phone you make a small "finger" come forward and press it. Only problem is these fingerbots are absolute GARBAGE!

I've now thrown mine in the bin because it's just crap. To finally get to the point... i'm not tech savvy at all (i really just know the basics of PC's) so do any of you know if there's any way i can just cut the power button out?

Like the next time my PC freezes i can just use the power adapter to simply turn the PC off, count to 10 and then turn it back on and the PC will just come on without the need of having to press the power button?

AlbertAZ

Commendable
Oct 5, 2021
What I did may work for you. Check your bios power settings. With mine there is one that turns on the PC when the power comes on so there is no need to use the PC's power button. In my situation I have everything plugged into a power bar. When I turn on the power to the bar my entire system turns on

Reactions: Aussie_Wolfhound

Aussie_Wolfhound

Prominent
Jul 12, 2022
you could plug the computer into something like this:

BN-LINK ES1513-5-2 Wireless Remote Control Outlet with Extra Long Range (5 Pack) - - Amazon.com

then use the remote to turn off the power outlet when the pc hangs. Then turn the outlet back on to let the computer boot up again.
Appreciate the reply... and yeah that's basically what i have (the one i have is an Arlec brand and it connects to the home wifi and using an app on my phone when it's connected to the same wifi i can easily just switch between off and on) Anyway, so i got a friend to come over and he did what you guys suggested... something with the BIOS and now i don't need the power button no more :D I just turn the power off and on like how i mentioned and it works every time. Cheers again :)