Question Is there any way i could connect a blu ray dvd player to my desktop and show on my monitor?

WhatLuck150

Prominent
Mar 19, 2022
I have a bluray DVD player that was given to me by my father, it has a 5.1 surround sound system that I'm currently using, and want to know if there is some kind of software or something to display the bluray dvd player on my desktops monitor with it plugged into my desktop via hdmi, would this be possible, if so what software?

The only reason why I don't just connect the player to the monitor is because my monitor won't turn off automatically, and I dont want to go back and fourth between the 2 inputs

Bluray player is a samsung ht-h5500w system

My desktop specs:
I7-9700k
32gb ddr4 3200mhz
Gigabyte z390 aorus pro wifi
Nvidia rtx 3070 (msi gaming x trio)
2tb nvme ssd (2x 1tb)
8tb hard drive(2x 4tb)

Most monitors have multiple inputs, and, your PC is connected to one of them, be it HDMI, VGA, or Display Port.

I don't understand the reluctance to wish to connect the BlueRay to one of the monitor's unused inputs, so...

Don't connect the BlueRay to the PC, connect it to one of the unused monitor inputs, certainly most have an HDMI output...

(The PC is not really designed to be used as an HDMI input selection switch, but, as your monitor 'does not turn off automatically', what good would it do anyway?)

There are HDMI input switches, if determined to stick with the same HDMI input as the PC, thereby eliminating the need to do selection with the TV's input source switches or menus, assuming there is some 'plus' to that which evades some...

https://www.amazon.com/Koopman-Swit...=1654638188&sprefix=HDMI+input,aps,286&sr=8-3

Last edited:

WhatLuck150

Prominent
Mar 19, 2022
Most monitors have multiple inputs, and, your PC is connected to one of them, be it HDMI, VGA, or Display Port.

Don't connect the BlueRay to the PC, connect it to one of the unused monitor inputs, certainly most have an HDMI output...
I already know about that, but did you read the part where I stated the reason why, the monitors won't turn off automatically and I don't want to have to keep changing the input on the monitors, that's why I was asking if there was a software that could display it through windows

Wolfshadw

Titan
No. You would need a piece of hardware in order to capture the audio/video from the Blu-Ray. Hardware that is designed to handle the Digital Rights Management of the blu-ray disc you're attempting to watch.

Probably easier to just install a Blu-Ray drive into your PC and use digital audio out to the surround sound system.

-Wolf sends

I already know about that, but did you read the part where I stated the reason why, the monitors won't turn off automatically and I don't want to have to keep changing the input on the monitors, that's why I was asking if there was a software that could display it through windows
Well you could get a "smart plug" for your monitor either with a timer for as long as the movie is or one with a remote control so you can turn it of remotely.
You can probably even set your PC up to send a shut down command to the smart plug when the PC shuts down.