[SOLVED] Is there any way to confirm that AMD’s precision boost is turned on?

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
I have my Ryzen 3700x at it’s stock speed right now. But naturally I’m a little paranoid, because I previously messed with it a lot beforehand without knowing about precision boost, such as overclocking it and turning on MSI game boost (I have it turned off now). Is there any way to confirm whether or not precision boost is turned on? I have Ryzen Master

Solution
Yes, just monitor your system with HWMon/Info.

When you run a program/app/game, HWMon/Info will show you the max/min/actual clockspeed at any given time. So, if your CPU was boosting as it should, then in lightly threaded tasks one or two cores should boost to the max turbo. You will see this in the display of HWMon/Info. It's pretty clear to understand.
Yes, just monitor your system with HWMon/Info.

When you run a program/app/game, HWMon/Info will show you the max/min/actual clockspeed at any given time. So, if your CPU was boosting as it should, then in lightly threaded tasks one or two cores should boost to the max turbo. You will see this in the display of HWMon/Info. It's pretty clear to understand.

Solution
I have my Ryzen 3700x at it’s stock speed right now. But naturally I’m a little paranoid, because I previously messed with it a lot beforehand without knowing about precision boost, such as overclocking it and turning on MSI game boost (I have it turned off now). Is there any way to confirm whether or not precision boost is turned on? I have Ryzen Master
I'm pretty sure Ryzen 3000 works exactly as did Ryzen 1000 an 2000 before it: so long as it's not put into overclocking mode then boosting (and XFR, in the case of earlier CPU's) is functioning. So keep the CPU clock multiplier in the AUTO setting, and the CPU Vcore in the AUTO setting and Precision Boost 2 will just be 'on'.

Seriously, don't use MSI's utilities. They're more of a problem than a help. In RyzenMaster you should see PB2 working: the cores will alternate between sleep and boost frequencies as you watch. Just move the mouse around, click and drag windows, select Icons and stuff like that and you'll see cores boosting.

You can also see it in HWInfo 64 but it's less visual since you have to look at core clock speeds (although you can also create graphs). You won't see cores sleeping, though, as currently only RM is able to see if a core is in C6 sleep without waking it up in the process. So other, even well behaved ones like HWInfo, just show the base speed even if it might actually be sleeping. Also, don't use more than one monitoring program at a time, like HWInfo simultaneous with RyzenMaster, as they will affect processor so you don't see true state of operation.

Reactions: BrandonFitzpatricc