[SOLVED] Is there any way to copy contents of a hard drive without copying windows?

MParsons6900

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
Hi there, I am very aware of copying a harddrive with something like EaseUS or any other software clone, but as I am copying data and creating a new system for my grandfather, I was wondering if there was any way to do it so that his files are easier to get to? Or is he just going to have to get used to the extra layer like the rest of us? :LOL:

Edit: Forgot to mention I will be using a small boot drive as well so that's why I wont need windows on that new hard drive.

Last edited:
Solution
so the best option would be to just hand copy the files over to the new hard drive?
Yes.
And NOT the whole "Library" Doc/Photo/Music/etc.
The individual files within.

The easiest way is with a sufficiently large USB drive. HDD/SSD/flash drive.
Copy it all to that while the old system is still running.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi there, I am very aware of copying a harddrive with something like EaseUS or any other software clone, but as I am copying data and creating a new system for my grandfather, I was wondering if there was any way to do it so that his files are easier to get to? Or is he just going to have to get used to the extra layer like the rest of us? :LOL:
Copying WHAT, specifically?

Just personal files? Generally no problem. Details to follow if needed.
Applications? No...won't work.

If this is a new build with different parts transplanting an os from a different system isn't recommended. Drivers will not be the same from one system to another and you'll be copying whatever little bugs he has in a system that's been run for however long has accumulated. The best performance will result from a fresh install.

MParsons6900

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
If this is a new build with different parts transplanting an os from a different system isn't recommended. Drivers will not be the same from one system to another and you'll be copying whatever little bugs he has in a system that's been run for however long has accumulated. The best performance will result from a fresh install.
it will be a new system but with a fresh OS on a separate SSD