[SOLVED] Is there any way to enable integrated graphics on i5-2520M?

Mar 28, 2020
Hey, not sure If I should post it here but I have an laptop, model HP EliteBook 8460p which had an Dedicated GPU (AMD Radeon HD 6470) but it got burned somehow before and I want to enable the CPU's integrated GPU Graphics. I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64, The Windows Update does not actually find the driver for the CPU Graphics even after disabling the burned GPU on Device Manager.

Solution
While I was searching for the HD3000 control panel software, one thing kept popping up in the search results, and this was that sometimes only the hardware manufacturer supply the control software.

In my own experience that is mostly true when it comes to motherboards, and I notice it even less often nowadays..

I did go to the support page for your laptop model, but I was required to provide a serial number to acces downloads.

If you have a little time you don't know how to spend, you could go to the specific support download page for your laptop, to make completely sure if some iPGU driver software or control panel either is or isn't available here.

I doubt that's the case, but it shouldn't take a lot of time to look for, if an...
Mar 28, 2020
if you are getting output. then you are using it.
where did you try to get the driver?
I know I am already using it since there's no other GPU except the CPU's one normally but on DXIAG it shows it as "Microsoft Basic Display Driver" (https://prnt.sc/ru72fl) and I tried to install the drivers from Device Manager, where I downloaded them on Microsoft Catalog Updates for Windows 10 but it only shows up like this (https://prnt.sc/ru73fm) , at least shouldn't it install the proper drivers? It doesn't even show up on Task Manager as well.

While I'm not completely sure about your specific CPU/iGPU, sometimes other drivers than the generic Microsoft drivers, has to be downloaded from Intel to gain access to more advanced driver software and control options. Intel HD3000-driver

I'm aware that the drivers I linked to, are older than what Win 10 would provide. But in my personal experience (also with Win 10 as OS), I had to get software from Intel in order to gain acces to extended options for my Intel iGPU. The link is mostly meant to point towards a place to look for appropriate software

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020
While I'm not completely sure about your specific CPU/iGPU, sometimes other drivers than the generic Microsoft drivers, has to be downloaded from Intel to gain access to more advanced driver software and control options. Intel HD3000-driver

I'm aware that the drivers I linked to, are older than what Win 10 would provide. But in my personal experience (also with Win 10 as OS), I had to get software from Intel in order to gain acces to extended options for my Intel iGPU. The link is mostly meant to point towards a place to look for appropriate software
I tried to install this one https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...s-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-64-bit?product=81500 manually from the Device Manager then ran the Setup.exe since it doesn't detect my iGPU but it still shows like this even after executing the setup file and updating the driver. https://prnt.sc/ru7ns3

Also about others; I am aware quite well about "The laptop gotta use something to display" thing , as the problem here is that no programs or any kind of games detects my "GOTTA USE SOMETHING " GPU.

I tried to install this one https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...s-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-64-bit?product=81500 manually from the Device Manager then ran the Setup.exe since it doesn't detect my iGPU but it still shows like this even after executing the setup file and updating the driver. https://prnt.sc/ru7ns3

Also about others; I am aware quite well about "The laptop gotta use something to display" thing , as the problem here is that no programs or any kind of games detects my "GOTTA USE SOMETHING " GPU.

If you go to Win 10 Store, there's an Intel Graphics Command Center available from Intel, have you also tried that?

Oh, I see - I didn't consider that, the iGPU I was using then, was a more recent CPU. I apologize if I wasted your time, I was hoping it would just be a case of additional software required.

Fingers crossed you'll find the correct solution to the problems as fast as possible

Mar 28, 2020
Oh, I see - I didn't consider that, the iGPU I was using then, was a more recent CPU. I apologize if I wasted your time, I was hoping it would just be a case of additional software required.

Fingers crossed you'll find the correct solution to the problems as fast as possible
Well lucky you, the specs of your PC Setup actually shines here. Even I planned to get such kind of high end PC Setup without even worrying about such low end brutal limitations, as I even have an 240 Hz monitor that I wanted to pair with it up but after the epidemic disease , everything changed. Anyways, as for wasting my time, actually you made more sense than the others here and I appreciate it.

Mar 28, 2020

Last question , If you don't mind. Should I completely uninstall the AMD Radeon 6470M GPU driver with DDU?

I did search Google quite a bit before responding, because I was initially looking into other possible causes than the software related ones.

I didn't find a solution to your problem (obviously), but I did find several threads on multiple forums where people were asking exactly the same as you are asking here - also the same laptop as you have.

So it is definately not an uncommon problem, however I was struggeling to find the correct answer. I'm sure you already know this, but it seems like some of the traditional troubleshooting steps could be skipped here

Last edited:
Last question , If you don't mind. Should I completely uninstall the AMD Radeon 6470M GPU driver with DDU?

You could definately try and see if something changes. The two GPUs are compatible and the laptop should be able to run them and their drivers alongside eachother, since the laptop is designed that way. The usual reasons for completely removing any drivers from a certain manufactuer to avoid stability issues, shouldn't be an equally big issue here.

But removing the traces of the AMD drivers, could be an interesting step to take while troubleshooting. It might very well be, that Windows just asks for drivers again, since you can't completely disable the AMD GPU. or perhaps the driver remains deleted due to the faulty GPU, in which case you are sure not to be bothered by graphics related driver issues, which seems like a bonus

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020
You could definately try and see if something changes. The two GPUs are compatible and the laptop should be able to run them and their drivers alongside eachother, since the laptop is designed that way. The usual reasons for completely removing any drivers from a certain manufactuer to avoid stability issues, shouldn't be an equally big issue here.

But removing the traces of the AMD drivers, could be an interesting step to take while troubleshooting. It might very well be, the Windows just asks for drivers again, since you can't completely disable the AMD GPU
That's what came to my mind when I was first thinking about it but the DDU has already got an option which prevents the drivers for particular GPU of being installed automatically from Windows Update. So I'm gonna try the luck , it might even work who knows. I've seen people on youtube had those intel hd graphic drivers but it weirdly doesn't detect them on my laptop. Probably could be due to conflicts of both GPUs, gonna try it.

While I was searching for the HD3000 control panel software, one thing kept popping up in the search results, and this was that sometimes only the hardware manufacturer supply the control software.

In my own experience that is mostly true when it comes to motherboards, and I notice it even less often nowadays..

I did go to the support page for your laptop model, but I was required to provide a serial number to acces downloads.

If you have a little time you don't know how to spend, you could go to the specific support download page for your laptop, to make completely sure if some iPGU driver software or control panel either is or isn't available here.

I doubt that's the case, but it shouldn't take a lot of time to look for, if an opportunity presents itself.

In a perfect world that would be the the solution to the problem, however I consider it a bit of a longshot - but you never know

Last edited:
Reactions: User2020
Solution
Mar 28, 2020
I've checked their website (HP) but it's the same , they don't have any driver for windows 10 pro x64 as it is listed there for amd only, let the intel one doesn't even exist there. The way it doesn't detect the iGPU is truly stupid. After trying to clean the AMD drivers with DDU on safe mode , the windows automatically installed the new driver of amd once again and had to disable it from safe mode again but the Intel HD 3000 driver seemed to be founding the "resources" or basically finding the "way" to connect the drivers with the iGPU but after turning off the safe mode. It still doesn't even detect the Intel HD 3000 GPU. I appologize the way i'm typing as i'm so frustrated with this problem that I am even tired at the same time.

I have a small question, just to clarify - was any kind of software for Intel available on the support download page, maybe for Windows 8.1 or possibly even Windows 7?

The reason I ask is t hat I personally have som fairly old audio equipment, which has no recent driver releases, and no Win 10 compatible drivers.

However I'm currently using the latest Win 7 drivers, and they work perfectly.

I wouldn't recommend using outdated software for several reasons, both for security and compatibility reasons, but for troubleshooting purposes it could be something to look into - there's a command line for Command Prompt which allows installing drivers in safemode. It could give an indication if that lets you access HD3000 specific settings or not.

It is not a recomendation really, and important data should be fully backed up. But it could possibly give you an idea if there's something to it, or if it is a dead end.

Although, with your most recent posts in this thread in mind, it seems the idea of additional software required is not the direction to pursue

Mar 28, 2020
I have a small question, just to clarify - was any kind of software for Intel available on the support download page, maybe for Windows 8.1 or possibly even Windows 7?

The reason I ask is t hat I personally have som fairly old audio equipment, which has no recent driver releases, and no Win 10 compatible drivers.

However I'm currently using the latest Win 7 drivers, and they work perfectly.

I wouldn't recommend using outdated software for several reasons, both for security and compatibility reasons, but for troubleshooting purposes it could be something to look into - there's a command line for Command Prompt which allows installing drivers in safemode. It could give an indication if that lets you access HD3000 specific settings or not.

It is not a recomendation really, and important data should be fully backed up. But it could possibly give you an idea if there's something to it, or if it is a dead end.

Although, with your most recent posts in this thread in mind, it seems the idea of additional software required is not the direction to pursue
I already said in the other posts, that I installed the latest Windows 7/8.1 drivers for Intel HD 3000 iGPU but it still didn't find the iGPU , even though the iGPU is the Intel HD 3000 for i5-2520M as said on Intel Official site (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-2520m-processor-3m-cache-up-to-3-20-ghz.html)

I'm not yet sure what might be causing all of this undetecting issues but I have a feeling that it the BIOS might be somehow disabling the iGPU but in the same time the HP EliteBook 8460p BIOS is so limited that you can't even do anything there.