[SOLVED] Is there any way to get around my university disabling peer-to-peer connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2021
Is there any way to get around my university disabling peer-to-peer connections? My school has disabled peer-to-peer connections so my Homepod and smart tv do not work properly. My school makes you verify your device using its mac address and your school ID once it's connected to the wifi network. I tried buying a router and installing DD-Wrt on it to copy the mac address of my Roku to see if I could make my own network without the registration like in this tutorial, but it did not work. Is there any way I can get around this or am I just stuck with an even dumber Homepod and a not-so-smart tv?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
What you are talking about is not peer to peer I don't think. I assume you just want your devices to talk to each other. The speakers run over the LAN I think they do not use the internet to talk. As long as all your stuff talks to your new router via wifi and ethernet and only the router talks to the university it should work. Unless the university does not allow you to run your own wifi this would actually help to reduce the traffic on the university network because it will all stay on your router.

Peer to peer normal refers to game consoles that connect to other game consoles on the internet. Because they use other ports than standard web traffic it can have issues because of the need to port forward. In addition the...
What you are talking about is not peer to peer I don't think. I assume you just want your devices to talk to each other. The speakers run over the LAN I think they do not use the internet to talk. As long as all your stuff talks to your new router via wifi and ethernet and only the router talks to the university it should work. Unless the university does not allow you to run your own wifi this would actually help to reduce the traffic on the university network because it will all stay on your router.

Peer to peer normal refers to game consoles that connect to other game consoles on the internet. Because they use other ports than standard web traffic it can have issues because of the need to port forward. In addition the university might block ports.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.