[SOLVED] Is there any way to get my GPU Usage to stay at 100% while in games? GTX 1080

Esskay1

Reputable
May 5, 2017
Unsure if this is the right forum area, I want to play Dead By Daylight at medium settings 100+ FPS 1440p. when I put it up to max graphics, the usage averages 80-90% (still not 100 though) and the framerate averages 70 but with a ton of spikes/ changes. When it's at Medium however, the usage goes down to just like 60% and I get about the same FPS. All my Nvidia settings are put at max performance as well and I've done a virus scan
I'm running a GTX 1080 Mini, 16 gb ram, ryzen 5 1600 so nothing's bottlenecked as well as far as I know. Thanks in advance!

Solution
You may want to view your CPU load, on a per core basis. Many games are not well threaded, so you might be only maxing out a couple cores, and see overall usage as being low. Even if you loaded all 6 cores, to 100%, you would still only see 50%ish utilization, because of SMT giving you 12 threads.

Esskay1

Reputable
May 5, 2017
Unsure if this is the right forum area, I want to play Dead By Daylight at medium settings 100+ FPS 1440p. when I put it up to max graphics, the usage averages 80-90% (still not 100 though) and the framerate averages 70 but with a ton of spikes/ changes. When it's at Medium however, the usage goes down to just like 60% and I get about the same FPS. All my Nvidia settings are put at max performance as well and I've done a virus scan
I'm running a GTX 1080 Mini, 16 gb ram, ryzen 5 1600 so nothing's bottlenecked as well as far as I know. Thanks in advance!
I'm 99% sure the CPU usage is still fairly low on lower settings and it isn't bottlenecking it in any way, though next time I'm on I'll have a check. Could there be any other solutions I could do?
GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
PSU: Corsair CX550M Bronze 550W Power Supply,
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-HD3
Case: NZXT S340 Elite

logainofhades

Titan
You may want to view your CPU load, on a per core basis. Many games are not well threaded, so you might be only maxing out a couple cores, and see overall usage as being low. Even if you loaded all 6 cores, to 100%, you would still only see 50%ish utilization, because of SMT giving you 12 threads.

Solution