Is there any way to increase the brightness on my monitor or time to buy a new one?

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
Windows 10, 64 bit

- Acer x233h (low brightness)
- Samsung 2233sw (high brightness)

I looked at the specs for both monitors, and they are identical, yet one is like twice as bright...

Is the Acer defective, too old? Although both are just as old...

Will buying a new 23 inch monitor give me good brightness like the Samsung or just another expensive dim monitor?

I'm looking for a monitor where I an see on my balcony. I don't game, no movies, no mutlimedia.

Just web development and graphic design, I don't need curve or any fancy features, I just want something bright that I an see on my balcony.

I live in Thailand now, and it's very, very sunny, and my apartment has large windows...so I need lumens !

4LOtstMGrqXx.jpg

4LOuOQT3OPRa.jpg

InvalidError

Titan
If brightness on your 'dim' monitor is maxed out, then there isn't much you can do about it. Either it never delivered the specified brightness or it faded over time.

Instead of upgrading your displays to better cope with an excessively bright environment and possibly cause their backlight to fade prematurely due to being driven at 100% brightness most of the day, another option may be to use curtains to reduce ambient light - that's what I'd do.

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015

Actually I did that, installed some blinds as you can see in the image, but working on a balcony in Thailand with with view is nearly impossible to avoid blinding sunlight, no need for SAD light therapy here!

Will working at full brightness ruin the monitor really quickly?

Any tips on that? Dimming my working environment is not really an option...I love the sunshine, makes me more productive and upbeat to work. Dark cold basements didn't quite suite my lifestyle, one of the reason I left Canada(and the limitless available women in Thailand also...;) !

InvalidError

Titan

That depends entirely on the quality of the LEDs used in the LCD's backlight, how hard they're being driven and how hot they're getting. High drive current will make LEDs dim faster, as does high operating temperature, and this is usually much worse on lower quality LEDs.

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015

So obviously I need to stay away form no-name, and maybe Acer?

What is usually proper quality?

- Phillips
- Samsung
- HP
- LG

?

InvalidError

Titan
Hard to say, reviews don't typically cover anything related to long-term endurance. Durability can vary a lot between same-brand product lines, so brand alone is not enough. I've had two LG monitors and I had to refurbish the PSU in both of those after about three years, so LG got crossed off my list for anything with internal PSU.

Finding a display that doesn't need to be at 100% brightness to be comfortable should be a good place to start from.

i had an old monitor like yours start to fade from time. with newer monitors the ones with ips panels are very bright. if you have a large local pc store walk in and look at the units. with today monitors there only a few vendors that make there own panels. most vensors buy panels and slap there name on them. look online for good reviews try finding out if some brands have higher doa rates. look at the waranty the units has. some have one year some have more.