Is there any way to transfer programes from windows 7 to windows 8

alantomjose

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
I am currently using a vaio s series laptop with i7-3520 and 8 gb ram with gt640m le graphics card,but it is really slow.Does anyone know what is causing this?
I tried defragmenting etc but it is still slow.So I am gonna format and install windows 8.Is there any way I can keep the programmes whout having to reinstall them because i dont have the cd'sof some important softwares???Is there anyway I can copy the programme without the use of the installation CD???

Thanks in advance!!

Solution
The only way to transfer most major applications from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is to reinstall them, unless you specifically perform an upgrade installation. A clean installation, which is usually what's needed to restore a computer to full speed without "bloatware" is going to wipe out any custom software and leave you with a Windows only installation, which is the point. Upgrading won't cure any speed problems unless the issue was damage to the OS itself, which is highly unlikely. There really is no alternative that is guaranteed to work every time.

Many "name brand" laptops and desktops come very slow, right out of the original box, because manufacturers such as Sony, Asus, HP, Dell, etc., cram a bunch of their own garbage software...
The only way to go from 7 - 8 without having to reinstall your programs would be to perform an upgrade installation.

Agree with the previous poster however, Windows 7 is not the source of your performance problems, nor will Windows 8 fix any of them. Performing an upgrade installation of Windows won't sort things out either. A fresh installation of Windows, 7 or 8 will likely get you back up to speed for a while, but I find often times people are in the same boat shortly thereafter, after they've installed all of their old software without making certain they didn't get the bloat with it.

Defragmenting on modern hard drives results in gains so small you need a benchmark to measure them.

alantomjose

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015

So what do you recomment i do to make it fast? What you think is causing the problem,?the current windows do have a number of vaio apps.

Is their any way to transfer a programme from windows 7 to 8 without the installation disc?

The only way to transfer most major applications from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is to reinstall them, unless you specifically perform an upgrade installation. A clean installation, which is usually what's needed to restore a computer to full speed without "bloatware" is going to wipe out any custom software and leave you with a Windows only installation, which is the point. Upgrading won't cure any speed problems unless the issue was damage to the OS itself, which is highly unlikely. There really is no alternative that is guaranteed to work every time.

Many "name brand" laptops and desktops come very slow, right out of the original box, because manufacturers such as Sony, Asus, HP, Dell, etc., cram a bunch of their own garbage software onto the systems. Most seasoned computer users have their own suite of programs that they use which accomplishes 99% of the tasks the manufacturers are trying to perform for you, so the easy fix to the initial bloat is to head into the Windows Control Panel and go through the Installed Programs list for things you can uninstall. There's really no reason for a brand new machine to have a full list of installed programs, plus if you do find you want one of these branded applications back in the future, you can usually download it from the manufacturers website.

The next easiest thing to do, in my opinion, is to determine what absolutely must be running when the computer starts and boots into Windows, and turn everything else off. If you aren't very familiar with the process, it can seem a bit daunting, but it's still manageable.

Since you're running Windows 7 from the sounds of it, the easiest method of seeing what's starting with your computer is going to be to press Win + R on the keyboard, type msconfig.exe and click OK.

Once Microsoft's System Configuration tool comes up, click on the Startup tab. This lists all of the programs that are starting with Windows. Essentially, this stuff can be considered extra baggage, and there's probably not even a single item on the list which is absolutely critical to Windows booting properly. The few exceptions are likely to be volume control applications, graphics control applications such as AMD's Catalyst Control Center and whatever NVIDIA is calling theirs at the moment, and perhaps some printer support software. While those can be left on, for the purposes of streamlining nothing there is going to break anything if disabled. They just provide easier access to functionality. To disable the programs starting along with Windows, just un-tick the checkbox next to it. After deselecting everything unnecessary from the Startup tab, click OK and reboot the computer.

Solution