Question Is there anything better than pcpartpicker?

UKTone

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2015
Feel they don't have enough filter options esp for motherboards, which may be the hardest component to choose. It could just be me, but does everyone feel like the motherboard is more permanent than the rest of the build?

Edit: Forgot to add pci-e 5.0 slots for gpu and m.2 be options.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Considering it's what goes under layers of components into a chassis and is a bother to take out if the board is the one that's died due to a mishap, it's often looked as something you buy once and then forget about. It's also why most of us try and look for as much features packed into a board or boards that tick all the right boxes for a build, whether it's good audio, aesthetics, wireless connectivity and overall it's pricing.

Personally, I don't know of any platform akin to PCPartPicker but that's only when trying to pass on a build proposal and even for ease of use on the forums. I tend to nitpick each part/component for a build if I'm going to build a system. Forums(not just this site) help in clarifying whether what PCPartPicker is saying is right or wrong, as PCPartPicker have been wrong on many occasions.

Which specific filters do you want? The only thing I can think of for motherboards they're lacking would be back I/O config.

Other aspects may not be doable because PCPartPicker is likely pulling from the manufacturer's official spec sheet and specs that are commonly listed. For example, not every motherboard is going to have its VRM specs listed. So it doesn't make (much) sense to have that as a filter option.

Reactions: UKTone

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
partpicker is good to narrow down the options to a handful. then you dig deeper into those few and make a decision. once i have it down to a few choices it's not hard to look at the vrm's, compromises when using features and so on.

newegg has a large amount of filters, but that also depends on what specs are available to input into the system as others have noted above.

UKTone

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2015
For some boards, this actually depends on the CPU you plug into it. For instance, while AMD's B550 boards can support PCIe 4.0, if I plug in a Ryzen 3700X, it'll only be PCIe 3.0.

Oh well the cpu i am likely going to get is the i7 13700KF, i would be upgrading with the motherboard to the best chipset Z790, i believe it's compatible with m.2 pci e 5 and pci e 5 gpu.

Gigabyte gives pcie 5 as an option under Graphics Interface, but not for m.2. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/All-Series?fid=2587

If pcpartpicker or another site had it for an option for both, it'd help me narrow down what motherboard is best for me.

Oh well the cpu i am likely going to get is the i7 13700KF, i would be upgrading with the motherboard to the best chipset Z790, i believe it's compatible with m.2 pci e 5 and pci e 5 gpu.

Gigabyte gives pcie 5 as an option under Graphics Interface, but not for m.2. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/All-Series?fid=2587

If pcpartpicker or another site had it for an option for both, it'd help me narrow down what motherboard is best for me.
You in the UK or US?