Question Is there anything hazardous in an Acer XR382CQK Monitor?

Cybrex

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
Hello all,

For the last 3 weeks I've been experiencing respiratory issues that I've visted ER 3 times, my family doctor 2 times and a Hemotologist once. I've had 3 CT Scans and a X-ray as well as each time in ER blood work done in an attempt to figure out the cause of things.

When I experience these symptoms I'm always at my desk which is in my bedroom and if I go anywhere else in my apartment I feel fine. I've been doing everything I can to eliminate anything new, sealing up holes in the wall, etc. ANYTHING.

I had an Air Quality technician come out today to check to see what they can find in the air (3-5 business days before I get the results) so thats how serious things have become. I have 2 fans now running, 2 air purifiers and my windows always opened now even though it is starting to get cold outside at night now where I live (and even during the day too). Symptoms include dizzy spells, lightheadedness, nausua, headaches, sometimes shortness of breath and even really dry mouth.

A couple of weeks ago I mounted the monitor to the wall and wondered, did the screws hit something inside the monitor that could be causing these symptoms? Do I need to get rid of it now?

I tried reaching out to Acer support informed them of the same information and how this is becoming a serious health risk, and the moment the agent checked the SIN # their response was….

2:02 PM Praveen S:
WARRANTY STATUS
Out
2:02 PM Praveen S: your warranty we dont support monitor issues over chat
2:02 PM Praveen S: please contact local tech

I get that companies only care about their customers when they are paying but I would have, if this a health issue for a customer. Help them figure it out. Certainly doesn't make me want to buy Acer again.

So, hopefully someone here knows a LOT about monitors as I do not. Is there any chance something in the monitor was damaged? When I attached the mounting bracket I had it laying screen down on a pillow on my bed so could anything have shifted or damaged in any way? Am I at another deadend to my on going health issues?

Do you have these symptoms while watching TV in a different room as well?
Maybe it´s a kind of motion sickness?
Would unmount it and test for few days without it in this room.

Is there a power line or pipe inside the wall, where you mounted the monitor to?

Maybe your wall has something hazardous which was set free when you drilled holes in it?

Cybrex

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
Do you have these symptoms while watching TV in a different room as well?
Maybe it´s a kind of motion sickness?
Would unmount it and test for few days without it in this room.

Is there a power line or pipe inside the wall, where you mounted the monitor to?

Maybe your wall has something hazardous which was set free when you drilled holes in it?
Nope, I only ever experience these symptoms when I'm at my desk. I go out to my living room an binge a show for hours, or game, nothing. I can go to the theatre watch a movie and nothing. Anywhere outside of the area of my desk I'm perfectly fine.

I wish I had another monitor I could use to try instead of it, but I just don't have one. We attached it to a stud thats between everything. So that stud has nothing running on it.

We only mounted it a week and a half ago, while I started having issues in the first week of the month.

any new furniture or chemical like cleaning utensils used ?

unmount the monitor and remove it from the room, including the power supply!
ventilate the room for a while and sit in the room. If you get problems too, might not be the monitor.

if it´s the monitor replace it immediately

is the monitor functioning and all ports are working as well? like USB? a defect could gas out e.g. capacitors, like all electrical devices.

any smell from any device in this particular room?

did you use the monitor before for years? maybe in a different room?

TRENDING THREADS