Question Is there anything i can do to improve my laptop's performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryancorda040

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
Hi, I have a dell 5558 laptop with an i5 5250u varient. It has 8gb ram, dual core, clockspeeds from 1.6ghz to 2.7ghz and a 920m graphic card. The system performs very poorly. Basically any game i play, has unlimited stuttering. I can understand if the system is not fit for gaming, but i get even more annoyed when the system hangs while editing or when multi tasking, or when im doing basically about anything. Most of the time, i feel that even my Core2duo with 1 gb ram is way faster than this laptop. I don't know why its under-performing soo poorly than a core2duo can take its case.

I didnt need to set the battery power options to max performance because i have already removed the battery from the back since its detachable. Even then its underperforming. I recently started using throttlestop and i came to know it throttles whenever anything is trying to add load on the system, Yes it throttles at 70 degrees, Gaming is really unusual on this system. Whenever i play, even if the frames drop from 60 to 57, the game freezes for that second, and it keeps doing the same thing, over and over again. I REALLLY DONT KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE SYSTEM. I have done undervolting, No help at all, i have tried fidgeting with the nvidia control panel, still no help. I disabled power throttling in registry. Not helping. Is it confirmed that my clockspeed is the reason why everything is acting up like this? I even tried disabling the turbo boost while gaming, the frames are dropping even more than normal, and again no help. If anyone has any kind of info, it will REALLLLY, REALLLLLY Help me Out. I am desperate to get this system working, since i wont be getting another system for another year or so. I cant tweak anything in the bios, i cannot adjust the turbo boost short/long power max limits since both of them are locked.

ryancorda040

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
Almost a Year Ago, The thing is that, i never fully formatted the system, on the off chance i lose something important. I have always done a reset and only for the C drive. Some apps run in the background, but even after ending the task, they will still come back and start updating again. Nope there is no virus in the system, otherwise id notice a huge reduction in performance.

Basically, the only thing which saved this laptop, was when it got upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10. Tasks like screen recording or, just the normal day to day freezing has reduced. It still cannot handle load, no matter how optimized the OS is. Today i had to do some multi tasking stuff, and i switched on my bandicam recorder, since the gamebar technically doesnt record the desktop, and yea, the final result was 18fps. If i were to record the same thing via the gamebar, i would get a proper 60fps vid, and a much better video quality since its inbuilt. Maybe i am expecting too much for an i5 laptop. Its probably fit for only watching youtube whole day, or doing tasks like super light work.

I checked forums regarding this laptop, Everyone who has bought this varient has problems using it. The funny part is that, there is no solution to this, Like everyone says, change the ssd, upgrade the ram, add thermal paste, clean the ventilation,, do undervolting. Yes i need to do all of this(undervolting is the only thing done), But i am like... at what cost. i know for a fact this system cannot handle load, the reason: no idea, Maybe the system is giving a false clock speed rate, or the system is playing safe, whenever multi tasking starts. I have even set it at 2.5ghz, thinking that while gaming and recording at the same time, the speeds will get locked while gaming. Nope, The moment i start screen recording, immediately the system throttles and disables the turbo. Then the video ends up becoming choppy and done. i can understand when heavy duty games throttle when screen recording. While playing light games like BombSquad, even then it starts throttling. Temperatures are literally in the 65 to 70 degree Range. Maybe the laptops has too many restrictions, and it willl never perform.

Reactions: Grobe

ryancorda040

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
Sry for not updating at all, but yeah, it turned out that my system was power, edp and thermal throttling(design flaw).
Thanks to unclewebb i managed to remove the power throttling but yea, the system didnt perform too well after that.
I mean what was i even expecting out of a dual core lmao. Anyways thank you for giving some time to read my posts.
Sorry in advance incase i didnt clarify all of this before hand. I was a noob at that time, so really sorry from my part.

Bot999999

Prominent
Jul 23, 2021
Sry for not updating at all, but yeah, it turned out that my system was power, edp and thermal throttling(design flaw).
Thanks to unclewebb i managed to remove the power throttling but yea, the system didnt perform too well after that.
I mean what was i even expecting out of a dual core lmao. Anyways thank you for giving some time to read my posts.
Sorry in advance incase i didnt clarify all of this before hand. I was a noob at that time, so really sorry from my part.
Can U plz tell how did u fix it ive got the same problem can u plz share the link of what helped u fix it

Reactions: ryancorda040
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS