[SOLVED] Is there anything I need to change? If I do need to change then which one (s) and why?

Nov 30, 2019
The following build is for both my work and gaming:

CPU - i9 9900K
Cooler - Noctua NH D15S
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16
GPU - Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC
Case - Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU - Corsair HX1200i W 80+ Platinum
SSD - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME
HDD - Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM

Monitor: https://www.viewsonic.com/ap/products/lcd/XG2405.php

P.S. I'm on a budget rn and that's why I've decided to go with this particular monitor but I'm not sure if FHD is going to bottleneck here. Is a QHD display absolutely necessary with 2080ti for a smooth gaming performance?

Last edited:
Solution
Like said, 1440 isn't a necessity. But you're really wasting the potential of such a build with a 1080p monitor. With 1080 you could comfortably go down to a 2070, or even a 2060s, and not notice a huge difference. And save yourself a ton of money at the same time.

I'd honestly recommend to save a bit longer until you can afford a 1440p monitor. A decent 27" 1440 will be in the 350 range, and you can get very good ones for under 500.

If you leave the cpu at factory clocks, that cooler will be perfect. If overclocking is in your plans, that cooler will run hot, but should still be in the acceptable range. Of course that is dependent on your workload also.

There's is absolutely zero reason to get a 1200w psu. A good quality 750w is...
Well... with an i9-9900k and RTX 2080 ti I wouldn't be worrying about performance as such. Though you specifically mention smooth gameplay, which means you don't want too many 1% (and even 0.1%) lows with framerates. That combo should minimise this particular issue for most games.

And if you lock the framerate with the refresh rate of the monitor, dependent on the game, the hardware may have extra headroom to keep a smooth gaming experience.

I wouldn't say 1440p is a necessity for a smooth gaming experience; it's a preference. Keep in mind with a higher resolution the workload is typically focused on the graphics card rather than CPU. The refresh rate is likely to be more a factor in this. Have you had the chance to compare how games look at different refresh rates? Might be helpful if you have the opportunity.

I'm sure others will chime in with their experience and knowledge.

Reactions: RogueNineOne
Like said, 1440 isn't a necessity. But you're really wasting the potential of such a build with a 1080p monitor. With 1080 you could comfortably go down to a 2070, or even a 2060s, and not notice a huge difference. And save yourself a ton of money at the same time.

I'd honestly recommend to save a bit longer until you can afford a 1440p monitor. A decent 27" 1440 will be in the 350 range, and you can get very good ones for under 500.

If you leave the cpu at factory clocks, that cooler will be perfect. If overclocking is in your plans, that cooler will run hot, but should still be in the acceptable range. Of course that is dependent on your workload also.

There's is absolutely zero reason to get a 1200w psu. A good quality 750w is more than you'll need and what I would recommend. Even if you wanted to stick with the hxi, grab the 750, put the 100 saved towards a nicer monitor. Getting a 1200w is a serious waste of money and provides zero performance benefit.

Reactions: RogueNineOne
Solution
Nov 30, 2019

There's is absolutely zero reason to get a 1200w psu. A good quality 750w is more than you'll need and what I would recommend. Even if you wanted to stick with the hxi, grab the 750, put the 100 saved towards a nicer monitor. Getting a 1200w is a serious waste of money and provides zero performance benefit.
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation...especially about the PSU.