Question Is there anything that I can do to get more performance out of my current system??

Jun 14, 2019
I have MSI H110M PRO D board, I5 7400 CPU, Geforce 1060 3GB, 16 GB (8x2) Mushkin DDR4 ram, 120 GB SSD (where windows is installed) 240 GB SSD (games) and 1 TB HDD 7200 rpm.

I feel like its a decent build. Im in it $580 but I'm weird and always want more performance. I just moved over from console and plan to stream and game on PC moving forward. Shy of building a new system is there anything I can do to get more out of current setup???
Any help is greatly appreciated.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Have you tried overclocking your gpu/cpu? Here is a good guide for overclocking your gpu:

Is your cpu boosted? Go to your motherboards BIOS (for most motherboards its delete, so keep pressing delete while your computer is booting up until the BIOS opens), you have MSI so turn on OC GENIE, (If XMP isn’t on the turn it on also, it will boost your RAM speed) and save and exit by going to advanced settings (it might be the top button and/or pressing F7) click settings, save and exit, save changes and reboot. It might be a little different, but just save and exit.

If you want to stream AND game, it’s highly recommended you have a second computer for streaming (unless you have a high-end computer (at least $800)), if you have a second computer get a capture card, which will allow you to stream from one computer onto another (or game console).

Jun 14, 2019
Have you tried overclocking your gpu/cpu? Here is a good guide for overclocking your gpu:

Is your cpu boosted? Go to your motherboards BIOS (for most motherboards its delete, so keep pressing delete while your computer is booting up until the BIOS opens), you have MSI so turn on OC GENIE, (If XMP isn’t on the turn it on also, it will boost your RAM speed) and save and exit by going to advanced settings (it might be the top button and/or pressing F7) click settings, save and exit, save changes and reboot. It might be a little different, but just save and exit.

If you want to stream AND game, it’s highly recommended you have a second computer for streaming (unless you have a high-end computer (at least $800)), if you have a second computer get a capture card, which will allow you to stream from one computer onto another (or game console).

I am very NEW to PC stuff. I am not sure that I completely understand how to do what you described above. I will try it and let you know how it works when I get home from work. I am in love with this machine as gaming has been completely changed for because I actually have frames now lol.
Let me ask you this also... given what my current build is, what would be the next thing to upgrade??

Jun 14, 2019
I understand that what i have is not top tier performing equipment. Im just looking for some guidance. I clearly dont understand this stuff as well as you two. By saying lots of things need upgraded doesnt do much for me, because obviously the whole build could be upgraded... I was more looking for certain items, for example...
With your current build, maybe look at getting a new board, and a new i7 8700k, after that then start looking at maybe a 1080 ti and so on.
I dont know thats why i am asking :)

Jun 14, 2019

My CPU is not boosted. With it being an i5 7400 is it even boostable? That may not be a word but we'll go with it. I am trying to figure out how to perform the task you proposed earlier but as i stated im no pc whiz. Im learning this all for the first time haha, so bear with me cause you will probably become frustrated with my lack of knowledge.
So as my computer is booting up from being turned on is when i should be pressing delete repeatedly??

You cant overclock a 7400. You can make sure turbo is turned on. You can still make sure XMP is enabled.

Press your pcs power button. Repeatedly press delete until your bios is open. Click on xmp and enable it. Make sure the turbo boot technology it turned on.

Current CPU and GPU are reasonably matched, as neither is really held back by the other...(naturally, 4c/4t CPUs are suffering more and more with modern games, and many blame them for stutter, hitches, etc, but, not everyone experiences it...)

To significantly increase 1080P performance, you will likely soon be wanting a new CPU, mainboard, and faster GPU...

Jun 14, 2019
You bet! Although 450w is fine for a 1060, I wouldnt get a low end unit for it.

Your ram is running at 2400mhz, so XMP is on. You could try overclocking it to 2666mhz.
GPU overclock could help.

When i input my build on the psu calculator it comes up with 460 watts. Everything i have read says to add a couple hundred watts just for safety and go with something good like corsair etc.
So i went and picked up a corsair cx750m power supply. I will install it tonight if i can figure out how lol.
This way when i upgrade the board, cpu, and gpu i already have a good power supply thats ready to handle it. Is my thought process incorrect???

How many pins does your 1060 need?
If thus is a modular cx, grab the cable that has a a 6+2 on the end. Plug the 6 pin in. If you need an 8 pin, plug the other 2 in. The other end goes into the port in the psu labeled pcie

Plug in the cable with sata connectors (flat and wide) into each drive. The other end goes into the port on the psu labeled sata/peripheral

Reactions: DMAN999
Jun 14, 2019
I got it all wired back up and working.
Thanks for your guys' help... Im a complete newb at this stuff.
Only other thing i could do it sounds like is increase the memory speed???