[SOLVED] Is there anything wrong with this build?

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I am ready to upgrade my 7 year old system. As the parts list below indicates some of the components have already been obtained (denoted by 0 in the price field). Those parts that have prices are yet to be purchased. Of note is the GPU is overclocked.

Anyway, the system will be used for Adobe Lightroom (with large image library), some gaming and general use. Of note: I do not need WiFi as I have a solid ethernet connection. I also do not need RGB as I cannot see the inside of the case. I also should mention that I am not necessarily budget limited, but am interested in value.

Regarding some of the individual component decisions made:

CPU: I chose the new Ryzen because it seemed to provide the best performance per $$. I chose the 3700X based on anticipated use. Also, I am anticipating not needing a more powerful cooler.

MB: Buildzoid and Hardware Unboxed seem to favor this mb for mid level systems. Also, I do not anticipate overclocking the CPU, but maybe RAM a bit.

RAM: Still a bit up in the air regarding speed vs latency. I frankly could not find 32G 3600/16 RAM, if it even makes that much difference.

Storage: I chose a 500GB NVMe for W10 and applications and the 1TB for storage. I did choose Samsung because of reliability; also, I did not specify the "Plus" version as I expected not see any proportional increase in performance. I do have external backup.

That's pretty much it; sorry for the long preface. If there is anything that you see that is incorrect, please let me know.

Thanks for the help.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JW44RJ

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.88 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB FTW2 GAMING iCX Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Auria EQ276W 27.0" 2560x1440 60 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
External Storage: Western Digital My Book 4 TB External Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $908.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-13 16:44 EDT-0400

Solution
Seems a waste to get X570 if you aren't overclocking, but it doesn't really matter if it has all the features you want otherwise.

As to overclocking, not really necessary with Ryzen 3rd gen from what I have seen, the boost pretty much gets it there automatically with 50Mhz of its max speed. Though you probably should get a better cooler if you want it to be relatively silent. The stock cooler is one of the better ones out there, but is still marginal when it comes to thermals.

As long as that memory kit has a reasonable CAS latency you should be good to go. Larger kits tend to not go as fast, so I am not surprised there isn't a reasonable 2x16GB kit out there for 3600Mhz.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Seems a waste to get X570 if you aren't overclocking, but it doesn't really matter if it has all the features you want otherwise.

As to overclocking, not really necessary with Ryzen 3rd gen from what I have seen, the boost pretty much gets it there automatically with 50Mhz of its max speed. Though you probably should get a better cooler if you want it to be relatively silent. The stock cooler is one of the better ones out there, but is still marginal when it comes to thermals.

As long as that memory kit has a reasonable CAS latency you should be good to go. Larger kits tend to not go as fast, so I am not surprised there isn't a reasonable 2x16GB kit out there for 3600Mhz.

Solution

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

Regarding overclocking, I too have read that there isn't much headroom on the Ryzen 3000's, and may overclock the memory.

Is there a cooler that you would recommend?
I have read good things about this one: no?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8GBrxr/scythe-mugen-5-rev-b-512-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5100

And I honestly haven't seen a 3600/16 for anything close to reasonable price. It just didn't seem worth another $100...am I wrong?

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Can I ask why you’re going NVME?

Check your RAM is comparable with your motherboard, look on the support list provided by the motherboard manufacturers

Thanks for the reply.

After lots of reading through forums and asking questions, it seemed that the NVMe PCIe route provided additional speed, especially since I am accessing a fairly large catalog of images....no?

Thanks for the reply.

After lots of reading through forums and asking questions, it seemed that the NVMe PCIe route provided additional speed, especially since I am accessing a fairly large catalog of images....no?
From what I’ve heard NVME only really matters when you’re editing 4K+ video and loading it all into RAM.

Also really check the RAM I’ve just got burned with that.