Question Is there anyway to revive a dead intel processor?

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Hi All

I have an intel 3940xm processor that i got with a Dell M6700. In order to reduce the temps, i applied another heatsink of it. It was my bad that this applied a bit too much pressure on the chip. this led to the fact that now the laptop is acting as if there is no processor installed in the system. i have installed another processor in the laptop and it works perfectly. As you all know that this chip 3940xm is the top of the line chip and im devastated because i have busted it. I want to ask whether there is any thing i can do to revive it? I have tried it on another laptop as well but it does not work. i am so frustrated and depressed because of it. I am desperate to make it work again. Any inputs from you all will be highly appreciated.
Hope to hear from you all soon.
Thanks

The processor was the real deal though
Also it was working perfectly before i busted it

It was working before? I read it more like you were just installing it for the first time when you damaged it. How exactly did you damage it though? It's a laptop CPU, so what was the heat-sink you were trying to use?

I see no bent pins and there is no way to fix this CPU since there is no way for us to know what is even broken on it. You are out of luck on this one and you will need to buy another CPU.

Also, lol at me for saying delidded without looking up the CPU first.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
hmm ic

It was working well but the issue was that it was running hot. so what i did was that i bought another heatsink of the same laptop. i removed the screws of one heatsink and placed it on the processor. then i put the other one on top of it and forced the screws. this gave the processor an unusual press. that was when the processor stopped being detected.

now when i install this processor, the laptop acts as if no processor is installed.