Is there much point in upgrading from a i5 4460 to a i7 4790k in a Gaming PC?

poundej

Reputable
May 2, 2015
Hi Guys,

I want to upgrade from my i5 to an i7, but to do so I will need to pay out around £250 - £300 to buy the i7 4790k?

So from a i5 4460 to a i7 4790k is there much point at that price for a PC that I only ever use to play games?

Solution
I upgraded from Core i5 4690k to a Core i7 4770K it's an upgrade in everything. Much less stutter in my games. Not that there was much stutter to begin with but in GTA V My minimum frame rate increased from 80 to 120. It blows away the Core i5 in every single benchmark test that I've tried except the single core benchmarks which it ties even when both processors are overclocked and the Core i5 is overclocked 100MHz higher.
Yes and no.
If your games are cpu limited and largely single threaded, then the higher stock clock rate of a i7-4790K will help.
Games such as sims, mmo, and strategy games are usually single thread limited.
If you are using a Z97 motherboard that permits overclocking, then a i5-4690K with a decent overclock will be better.

There is little value from the I7 hyperthreads; few games can use more than 2-3 threads.

How to tell?

Here is one way:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

I upgraded from Core i5 4690k to a Core i7 4770K it's an upgrade in everything. Much less stutter in my games. Not that there was much stutter to begin with but in GTA V My minimum frame rate increased from 80 to 120. It blows away the Core i5 in every single benchmark test that I've tried except the single core benchmarks which it ties even when both processors are overclocked and the Core i5 is overclocked 100MHz higher.

Solution

ToxykVib3

Honorable
Feb 15, 2015
At this point that wouldnt even be in your thought with the new skylake, and zen coming out and prices on new mobos and memories dropping out. At this point it's NOT worth it. Either you save to be able to get a new build or its pointless in spending 300€ in an i7 unless you're really stuck with what you have and REALLY REALLY need the i7 features. otherwise dont spend that money and save for a new mobo and processor.
For gaming you would only gain 10% gaming performance wich is not worth the extra 300€and the more expensive Z97 MOBO that you would buy for more 200€. Just sum it up and you will see that its completely worthless to upgrade.

A I5-4460 has a resale value of about £100 on ebay.
A i7-4790K is about twice that.
There is really not that much value in buying a z97 motherboard to overclock. The stock 4.0 with 4.4 turbo is near the max already.

If one needs to change the motherboard, he might as well buy a skylake z170 motherboard and a i5-6600K
With a decent overclock, it will game as well or better than a i7-4790K and a z97 motherboard.
And, it will cost less in the process.