Question Is there really Intel and AMD exclusive RAM?

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
I'm looking to upgrade my PC to 16 GB of RAM using 2x 8GB DDR4 sticks. I'm basically going for the cheapest ones possible and while searching, I came across RAM that says it's for AMD only like this one:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232546&ignorebbr=1

While others say it's for Intel only and on top of that only certain Intel platforms like this one:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232596&ignorebbr=1

So are those sticks of DDR4 RAM really restricted to those certain platforms? I've never heard of platform exclusive RAM until now. My motherboard chipset is an Intel H310 and I just want to make sure the RAM upgrade I buy will be compatible with my motherboard.

DDR4 is DDR4, and any DDR4 can work with ANY system that requires DDR4 (Excluding any EEC memory considerations), IF you are willing to play around with the configuration and timings. What makes certain sticks "AMD" or "Intel" is the fact that for Zen based platforms like Ryzen some sticks come with timings that are better suited for that platform. Many DDR4 modules that were designed for Intel platforms before there even WAS a Ryzen platform had issues running on that platform.

Memory like the G.Skill Flare X modules have timings designed to be specifically suited for Ryzen, however most Ryzen platforms will now run with MOST DDR4 sticks whether in the default configuration or with the XMP profile enabled. There are still some sticks where compatibility is spotty and it is immensely important on Ryzen that you immediately update to whatever is the latest BIOS version because the majority of Ryzen BIOS updates deal with memory compatibility.

Ryzen specifically likes DDR4 modules that are in the 3000-3200mhz range when it comes to optimal performance and it tends to work very well with any 3000-3200mhz sticks that have a CAS latency of 14 (CL14) which are exclusively memory modules using Samsung B-die ICs (Memory chips) but are also a bit more expensive than many other memory kits. They are however worth it and compared to most of the "AMD" DDR4, probably aren't much more expensive anyhow. I would recommend going with any 3000mhz CL14 sticks you can find available in your region that you can afford. Even Team memory products that are in that speed range with a CL14 latency are a good choice but I prefer sticking with G.Skill as their products are generally top notch.