Is there room to upgrade?

KyleF01

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015
PC SPECS:

MSI GTX 980 (+110 core clock, could go higher..)
Intel i7-4770k (4.3ghz, 1.2 volts)
16gb corsair vengeance ram
Asus Maximus Hero VII
SSD & HDD
750w PSU
1080p 144hz monitor

I'm "satisfied" with the performance of my PC, but I'm not getting a constant 60fps+ on every game.

Would my only option be to throw in a Titan X?
Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Solution

Not really. Most of the slowdowns you have are probably a result of poor programming more than hardware limitations. Just save your money for when a real successor to the 980 comes out. Just imaging the Pascal version of the 980ti, that thing will probably be more than twice the performance and have extra features (proper async shaders maybe? FP16/FP64 for sure)
You can certainly get a better card, but you should really just wait a bit for nvidia to release pascal. If you have issues hitting 60fps, just try lowering some settings. The upgrade from maxwell to maxwell won't be as big as you would think, especially considering the titan x is actually less than 50% faster (from a hardware standpoint)

AaronNazzy1

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
I also want to add that if you have issues with your card getting below 60FPS and showing any lag below, try turning V-Sync on in your control panel to reduce that and so your monitor refresh rate will match the fps and cap your FPS to 144 FPS so it doesn't go any higher, obviously that's not a real issue though.

KyleF01

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015

I was just hoping the gtx 980 would have provided a constant 60fps+ with settings maxed on 1080p. Which I am now realizing, was kind of an ignorant thing to hope/expect. Like I said though, overall it's not a problem. Witcher 3 average is 60fps+ only time it drops is running through the woods when it's stormy, lowest I saw was 45fps (hairworks off).

I was thinking about selling this gtx 980 and paying a little extra for a 980ti or titan x, but it seems like it isn't really worth it?

KyleF01

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015

Yup I already have V-Sync capped at 144 fps in Nvidia control panel.

Not really. Most of the slowdowns you have are probably a result of poor programming more than hardware limitations. Just save your money for when a real successor to the 980 comes out. Just imaging the Pascal version of the 980ti, that thing will probably be more than twice the performance and have extra features (proper async shaders maybe? FP16/FP64 for sure)

Solution