Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
Greetings!

I am going to be upgrading my system to a Ryzen 5000 series CPU, particularly the 5800x or the 5900x (Can't really decide yet because both CPU's are just too good, though I'm an editor so there's a strong chance I'll be getting the 5900x). I did my research and I know that Ryzen CPU's indeed take advantage of 3000mhz and above RAM speed. But the dilemma is this, here in my country the RAM market is so horrible, RAM is so expensive here, the inflation rates here are ridiculous! To be honest I don't really have a problem with my current RAM which is the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32GB running at 2400mhz as its XMP profile in dual channel (16x2). I only decided to consider an upgrade of my RAM because of the fact that Ryzen CPU's utilize fast RAM speeds, but after seeing the prices I got taken aback and I started having second thoughts. Is the upgrade really worth it, I know there will be performance loss, but if it's only small and negligible then I don't mind, I'll just wait for the prices to lower, the only part that worries me is that the CPU might underperform. As long as I can play games at ULTRA settings above 60 FPS at 1080P then I'm fine (I play with a 1080p 144hz 1ms response time monitor), also I'm an editor so is there significant performance loss in productivity also? What do you guys think?

Thank you.

Solution
Greetings!

I am going to be upgrading my system to a Ryzen 5000 series CPU, particularly the 5800x or the 5900x (Can't really decide yet because both CPU's are just too good, though I'm an editor so there's a strong chance I'll be getting the 5900x). I did my research and I know that Ryzen CPU's indeed take advantage of 3000mhz and above RAM speed. But the dilemma is this, here in my country the RAM market is so horrible, RAM is so expensive here, the inflation rates here are ridiculous! To be honest I don't really have a problem with my current RAM which is the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32GB running at 2400mhz as its XMP profile in dual channel (16x2). I only decided to consider an upgrade of my RAM because of the fact that Ryzen...
Greetings!

I am going to be upgrading my system to a Ryzen 5000 series CPU, particularly the 5800x or the 5900x (Can't really decide yet because both CPU's are just too good, though I'm an editor so there's a strong chance I'll be getting the 5900x). I did my research and I know that Ryzen CPU's indeed take advantage of 3000mhz and above RAM speed. But the dilemma is this, here in my country the RAM market is so horrible, RAM is so expensive here, the inflation rates here are ridiculous! To be honest I don't really have a problem with my current RAM which is the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32GB running at 2400mhz as its XMP profile in dual channel (16x2). I only decided to consider an upgrade of my RAM because of the fact that Ryzen CPU's utilize fast RAM speeds, but after seeing the prices I got taken aback and I started having second thoughts. Is the upgrade really worth it, I know there will be performance loss, but if it's only small and negligible then I don't mind, I'll just wait for the prices to lower, the only part that worries me is that the CPU might underperform. As long as I can play games at ULTRA settings above 60 FPS at 1080P then I'm fine (I play with a 1080p 144hz 1ms response time monitor), also I'm an editor so is there significant performance loss in productivity also? What do you guys think?

Thank you.
In reality it depends largely on software/games and how they use memory.
When I experimented with my system, benchmark showed some 10% increase of CPU scores when switching from 2133MHz to 3600MHz memory (same RAM but with different setting). So no, you will not see much improvement from 2400 to 300MHz RAM.
There's another factor in RAM performance (not same as frequency), it's memory latency, specially Cas latency (lower is better) which also may impact real time performance but also depends on software games. Lower latency usually goes with lower frequency so it may somewhat equalize performance.
Also don't underestimate memory capacity and single/dual channel, more is not always better but dual channel is.

Reactions: Iver Hicarte
Solution