Question Is there software to identify bottlenecks?

jaz2018

Honorable
Feb 19, 2018
Does anyone know of any software that can help identify bottlenecks in a system.

ie. something that will identify a cpu running far too fast for the system bus to keep up or
to identify a need to increase the ram speed or if a graphics card is always
waiting for the system to feed it etc?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Does anyone know of any software that can help identify bottlenecks in a system.

ie. something that will identify a cpu running far too fast for the system bus to keep up or
It's probably a lot simpler than one would think.

Is there one software that can tell you a bottleneck? No.
Because bottlenecks are not only hardware dependant, they are completely application dependant.

Is there an easy way to see what a bottleneck might be? Yes.
Quite simply, run the application you want, then check your component usage.
If you have a single CPU core that is hitting 100% constantly whilst everything else has headroom, your CPU is your bottleneck in that particular application.
If you have your GPU usage hitting 100% and everything else has headroom, your GPU is your bottleneck in that particular application.
If your RAM usage is hitting 100% and everything else has headroom, your RAM is your bottleneck in that particular application.
Apply the same logic for your storage.

There isn't really a concept with a CPU running to fast for a system Bus. And requiring an "increase in RAM speed" for example, again is completely dependant on the application, and the rest of the system. That and finally, no single component is the same.

As a general rule:
  • The "bottleneck" calculators online are useless.
  • No component works the same.
  • Bottlenecks will completely change depending on how you use the system.
  • The application you are using, might not actually utilise the "improvement" you give it, even though it could theoretically use it. - It's the more RAM = more speed fallacy, it's only useful if the application you are using are needs it.

Last edited:

Well yes, multiple ways to find out. Simplest one is to use Task manager and Performance tab while running your games or a benchmark SW. If any component, specially CPU and GPU hit very high numbers and other one low numbers it's likely it's a bottleneck and need faster component to replace it with.
Note that might not be exactly a "bottleneck" but an indication that this component is not up to par for given game.
High memory usage and even disk usage can also pose a question if they are part of a problem and (specially memory) can make it a bottleneck.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
A good example will be for instance my pc.While playing monster hunter world my gpu for now are the gtx 1050ti.My cpu are ryzen 5 2600.I get on my gpu 100% utilization and only 25-40% on my cpu so my gpu's the bottleneck.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. You are, well I should say your settings choices are. The 1050ti is an entry level gaming gpu, good for most games at high settings for 1080p/60Hz, many older games at ultra, some new releases at medium.

Cpu pre-renders the game code into usable info. It can only do this as fast as its able to, some game code is well optimized, some isn't, so depending on the game, that'll set the fps limit. Then the cpu ships that info to the gpu. The gpu finish renders that info into a graphical representation and throws it up on the screen. How fast its able to do that depends on your detail settings and resolution.

So since your gpu is hitting 100% usage, you can relax the settings to lower usage and raise fps upto the limit set by the cpu. Settings include stuff set automatically by GeForce Experience, which has a really bad habit of automatically setting 4k DSR, which kills fps, jacks usage up very high, but looks fantastic on a 1080p monitor.

Most ppl have a hard time differentiating High settings with Ultra, as most of that is uber fine detailing, shadows and shades, every blade of grass etc. You can cut back on a lot of that and never tell the difference.

Also play around with Anti-Aliasing, sometimes using FXAA instead of SMAA or having AA at 8x instead of 16x will yield better results overall.

Last edited: