Question Is there something wrong with my 6800XT?

thyriel6

Commendable
Oct 23, 2018
Hi Everyone. I recently got my hands on a XFX 6800 XT and from what I can tell is underperforming compared to even reference cards.
I've tried everything, reinstalled/udpated drivers, uninstall previous cards drivers with DDU, updated my Bios, played around with the settings. nothing seems to help when I compare it to similar benchmarks.
The only thing that comes to mind is that my 2600X is bottlenecking the GPU but from what I can tell I'm seeing at most 60% usage on some games where the frames dip below 60 fps.
These are the scores on the different benchmarks I've run (and games available to me atm).

Superposition (4k optimised) - 13347
Time Spy - 13609 (17486 GPU) (link - http://www.3dmark.com/spy/19868050)
Fire Strike 26031
average fps in Monster Hunter World 1440P HD Textures - 100 (compared to 120fps+ from threads online)

all in all in several games I seem to be incapable of mantaining 120+ fps on 1440p and from what I can tell most of the benchmarks are signifficantly below average. even if it's a bottleneck don't think it would be as signifficant.
As it stands I'm unsure how to improve my performance or if I have a faulty card.

Last edited:
Check your tessellation settings in the AMD drivers. You'll continue to get invalid results until it's set to default.
Your CPU is definitely holding back your scores in these benchmark tests. How this bottleneck translates to a loss of gaming FPS will depend on the settings of each game.

Remember that posted benchmarks/gaming FPS scores are usually the top .1%. They are not the norm - they are the outlier.
No one's going to post 'meh' benchmarks/gaming FPS videos. Benchers/reviewers tweak, bench, tweak, bench, tweak, bench, etc., until they get a score that they deem 'worthy' and only then does it gets posted. These are usually people who work with technology for a living and know the ins and outs of settings and components. Many of them also know how to 'cheat' the system by running the benchmarks with unrealistic settings. They change everything from CPU priority, to benchmark config changes, to doing borderless/alt tab crap. In short, don't worry about hitting published benchmark numbers.

thyriel6

Commendable
Oct 23, 2018
Check your tessellation settings in the AMD drivers. You'll continue to get invalid results until it's set to default.
Your CPU is definitely holding back your scores in these benchmark tests. How this bottleneck translates to a loss of gaming FPS will depend on the settings of each game.

Remember that posted benchmarks/gaming FPS scores are usually the top .1%. They are not the norm - they are the outlier.
No one's going to post 'meh' benchmarks/gaming FPS videos. Benchers/reviewers tweak, bench, tweak, bench, tweak, bench, etc., until they get a score that they deem 'worthy' and only then does it gets posted. These are usually people who work with technology for a living and know the ins and outs of settings and components. Many of them also know how to 'cheat' the system by running the benchmarks with unrealistic settings. They change everything from CPU priority, to benchmark config changes, to doing borderless/alt tab crap. In short, don't worry about hitting published benchmark numbers.
That puts my mind at ease a bit. I understand the CPU will hold me back in some games. I don't know if it's confirmation bias but it seems with every change I do my fps and performance in games becomes worse and worse. Probably my mind playing tricks. card behaves well under stress tests, no black screens, nothing of the sort, just lower performance than I expected but most likely due to the older CPU.

I guess I'll just leave it be for the time being.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts