Question Is there something wrong with my cooler?

Sep 21, 2019
I dont know if im just worrying too much or if there something wrong, but my system (Xeon x5650, r9 290 8gb ram) gets around 81 celcius when playing games. I bought it completly new, but the weird thing is that when i played fallout 4/ battlefield 1 it got up to 87 celcius, but now i played CS:GO it also got up to the same temps, despite it running all those games completly fine and csgo being less a problem for my system. I also dont hear my fans go up or something.

I dont know if im just worrying too much because i dont know anything about computers, or if its a real problem.

Also, i want to get a new cooler, but my question is just about if this is normal or not.

Sorry for my bad english btw, if you dont understand something i can explain it again.

Sep 21, 2019
Have you ever cleaned you computer case from dust? Have you ever changed the thermal paste? What is the cooler you use and the enviroment temprature where you live?Do you have any intake fans in your case? 87C seems a bit high.

Well today its around 25 degrees. I dont know but i think its the standard cooler, otherwise the most basic cooler there is. Its a new PC (not second hand) so the paste is like maybe 4 days old.

Idk if it could be a part of the problem but i installed speedfan and adjusted my fan speeds. im so confused because CS:GO is a game my system can handle easily but it gives such high tempratures.

Besides i dont even hear my fans going louder or anything, another thing to note is that i tested fortnite, because the PC is advertised to run it on Ultra, so i wanted to see it, but then it suddenly got to over 90 celcius.

Well today its around 25 degrees. I dont know but i think its the standard cooler, otherwise the most basic cooler there is. Its a new PC (not second hand) so the paste is like maybe 4 days old.

Idk if it could be a part of the problem but i installed speedfan and adjusted my fan speeds. im so confused because CS:GO is a game my system can handle easily but it gives such high tempratures.

Besides i dont even hear my fans going louder or anything, another thing to note is that i tested fortnite, because the PC is advertised to run it on Ultra, so i wanted to see it, but then it suddenly got to over 90 celcius.
I dont really believe that this PC is brand new. R9 is an older GPU and you cant find it new a long time now. I believe you should first open the computer and see how its the condition inside and the cpu cooler too if there is any thermal paste or if it is installed properly. Of course if you buy a bigger air cooler the temps will be better but still 87C seems high even with the stock one. Is the cpu overclocked?

Sep 21, 2019
I dont really believe that this PC is brand new. R9 is an older GPU and you cant find it new a long time now. I believe you should first open the computer and see how its the condition inside and the cpu cooler too if there is any thermal paste.

I dont mean ''brand new'' More like never used/slightly used. Its not like someone used it before me.

But as a side question, the tampering with my fan speed, would that cause any problems?