Is there something wrong with my ryzen 2600 chip?

HugoBruins

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Dear community,

My ryzen 2600 was overheating severley (95 degrees C with panel on) on prime95.

Then I Changed the termal compound that came applied stock to mx4 and put the panel on and it is hitting 89 degrees C now, it's still hot, with the panel off it hits about 87 degrees and on its 89 degrees.

But one weird thing I noticed is when I took a shower and when I was coming back, my max cpu speed hit 5810 MHz
http://prntscr.com/kr10dk

Here's my specs

ryzen 2600
(3.4ghz, xfr2 and all other technologies enabled)
msi b450 gaming pro carbon
(stock bios settings, only changed fan curve to hit max fan speed at 80 degrees on cpu)
Free boxed cooler (wraith stealth I think)
MX4

Please help me out here, it feels kinda weird and I can't explain any of these anomalies

Solution
Yeah, i'd agree with ron. Faulty mobo/sensor probably. But make sure to update latest bios, and also HWmon too. It could be just a software glitch. Try the bios update first along with HWmon latest version, before considering RMA'ing the board.

When you do the bios update, do a CMOS reset afterwards to be sure it's clean, and try again.
I did a ryzen 5 2600 system for a customer recently, and hwmonitor showed me i was hitting 5Ghz, which is basically impossible, i would consider that an error on hwmonitors part. The temps thou is something i would pay attention too. Have you updated the Bios to the latest version?

HugoBruins

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

Nope, didn't toutch any clock speeds, I have it all set to auto in the bios, also didn't change anything on the ryzen master software that I also used to check temperatures.

But I think it was a really short peak of 5810MHz but it's still really weird. Maybe it's working as intended

HugoBruins

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

I was thinking hwmonitor was faulty aswell, I am not sure if I updated to the latest bios but's it's a pretty new b450 board so I suppose that wouldn't be an issue

One weird thing I found aswell was that StoreMI couldn't find a license when I tried it out? It should be in the board?

HugoBruins

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
"ThenI would assume a bug in hw monitor. Also during p95 it is normal to hit above 80s on stock cooler.
Check in aida64 extreme during gaming"

When gaming the cpu doesn't hit above 80, basically ever, because I guess games don't use all 6 cores/12 threads and I am only running a gtx 1060 3gb, because I only have a 60 (75 hertz OC) 1080p ultrawide

Yeah, i'd agree with ron. Faulty mobo/sensor probably. But make sure to update latest bios, and also HWmon too. It could be just a software glitch. Try the bios update first along with HWmon latest version, before considering RMA'ing the board.

When you do the bios update, do a CMOS reset afterwards to be sure it's clean, and try again.

Solution

First thing i would do is reset BIOS to defaults and upgrade the BIOS to the latest revision. Even thou the board is new it still takes time to get to you, i would assume there is a newer BIOS available.

TRENDING THREADS