Question Is there something wrong?

SirMonkeyV

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Hello. My friend has an i5-3570k and 16 GB RAM. His gtx 760 died, so he bought a used RX 580 that probably was mining card before. We checked and we think it had right BIOS that isn't for mining. Compared to other people on YouTube at similar settings, he's getting worse FPS. We ddu uninstalled the Nvidia graphics. We also ddu uninstalled the Intel hd graphics, which actually helped, but it still isn't great. His gpu usage goes up and down from 2% to 100% every few seconds according to both msi afterburner and rivatuner. His overclocked CPU is at 100% the entire time, but that's probably because it's old? It also is getting low wattage during games like Battlefield 1. It's only using 60 watts. I checked the PSU with a PSU checker and it's good. He also gets a green screen and also a quick tv static display for like 2 seconds every time PC wakes up, but it works fine after.

His hard drive is also really loud, and also pretty slow. I crystaldiskmarked it. It's also sluggish, so maybe dying soon?

He's definitely in high performance mode in Windows. We also reinstalled latest drivers. Why is he getting decreased performance? Is there anything wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

SirMonkeyV

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Unless that is a load tester it does nothing but check voltage. The reason I asked for make and model of PSU is that the 580 draws huge amounts of power compared to that 760. One model of 750w PSU could be no better than a 450w.
I see. Thank you for your response. My psu tester just lights up a bulb for each voltage. So you're saying I should try a different PSU? I could take out my own EVGA 650w, which I know works well to test it. Could that cause the fluctuating GPU usage too?
And is the high CPU usage due to just weak and old CPU? Thank you again.

"other YouTube people" is not a valid way to test the card. Run 3DMark or some other common benchmak and post the results, along with what test you ran at what resolution and options and what version of the benchmark software. For a valid test you would want to run it 3 times with a reboot between runs, and average the results. If you are overclocking the CPU, when was the last time system was cleaned out and new thermal paste put on the heatsink?

Drive being slow is totally separate from any video card issues with image problems but can easily cause system to be slower than others. Replace with a solid state and install a clean Windows on it.

Used card that was stressed for mining use, not very odd that it would have issues. Those display quirks you see at start up are a good sign there are issues with the card.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.