Question Is there such thing as a decent monitor any more or am i super picky/unlucky? Had 2x LG 27uk650's 1x Predator x27 2xBenQ EW3270U

Hooni

Reputable
May 2, 2015
I have been trying to find a monitor that is decent without to many issues for a while,

First a LG 27uk650-w 27" 4k IPS screen, on sale at £355, uniformity was well off and monitor felt very unresponsive and had a decent amount of IPS glow and Backlight bleed and had image retention. Replacement turned up from amazon used and with scratches in the center of the screen, an had crazy backlight bleed but no real ips glow, uniformity was slightly better. Both were returned.

I then went abit mad and purchased a predator X27 27" 4k 144htz IPS screen, on sale at £1800 arrived resealed from amazon, Was almost perfect but had some backlight bleed that was extremely bad when HDR was used and there was any UI around the edges. then the second night i was using it a good chunk of pixels in the centre of the screen died about the size of a pea. Could not bring myself to ask for a replacement and got a refund.

I then thought i would try a 32" VA 4k BenQ EW3270U at £389 on sale at amazon as a stop gap between spending silly money on anything else and trying to avoid IPS lottery but now i realise VA panels have issues to. The first has pretty bad vertical bars and dirty screen effect.

The second the bars are reduced to a few light lines , but still has a dirty screen effect. Now im in two minds to return this also, you only really see it during specific brightness/shades, so the road while playing forza horizon 3 you may see it, or the side of a pyramid on AC origins, will see it in anything with a uniform colour across a large area in motion such as the sky in video's games etc. it can also be seen during some videos etc.

its fine when there is not motion but thats not that often for me. I dont know if i would regret keeping it. When you cant notice the issues its a pretty nice monitor and surprisingly responsive , when you can notice the issues it looks pretty poor.

The thing is, the other monitor i use a Acer SA270 was the cheepest 27" 1080p ips i could buy at the time from argos for £145 at the time, has no uniformity issues, hardly any glow/bleed.

All panel types have their weaknesses.

My Samsung C27HG70 is a 48-144HZ, 1440p curved VA. Overall the panel is very good, but the anti-glare coating kinda bugs me. Don't notice it much during gameplay though, which is the primary use for that one. Black uniformity isn't great either. I haven't noticed the vertical bars you're describing, but I can look again following your description.

Wait for OLED?

Last edited:

Hooni

Reputable
May 2, 2015
Im not sure OLED will ever work well for PC monitors tbh, From what i have seen people say burn in will be a issue, i think Dell made a prototype OLED monitor , but it never went into full production due to panel issues.