[SOLVED] Is there the need for a new throttling-thread?

ragnar-gd

Reputable
People always ask "Shall i upgrade my CPU to <some-shiny-new-techwonder>?"
Pros always counter-ask "What is your GPU?"
Very often it turns out that the contemporary builder-mantra "Order of decisions: 1. Monitor, 2. GPU, 3. CPU; And always use an SSD, fool!" is relevant for upgrades as well.
Aka: Even "venerable" i7-xx00 or i7-xx00k will suffice, unless going for, well, very high resolutions bundled with a NV RTX 2080 Ti. Yes, i exaggerate, but not by much.
All new tests for new CPUs always use a NV RTX 2080 Ti, to "show the power of the mighty new CPU", but, in reality, ... well, i'll give an example:
I have a GTX 1070, on 1440p@144, and a Ryzen 1600X.
Will a Ryzen 3000 improve my fps? Guess? 5%? Probably not even that. And it will even cost more power aka true $ per year...
Would downgrading to a i7-3770 reduce my fps? Guess? 5%? Maybe, but not far from that.

So, question to serious pros: Would that table make sense, as representing 95% of gamers settings?

4k@144/Maxed details - Which GPUs can do that? - Which CPUs can feed that?
4k@60/Good Details - Which GPUs can do that? - Which CPUs can feed that?
1440p@144/Maxed details - Which GPUs can do that? - Which CPUs can feed that?
1440p@60/Good details - Which GPUs can do that? - Which CPUs can feed that?
1080p@144/Maxed details - Which GPUs can do that? - Which CPUs can feed that?
1080p@60Hz/Good Details - Which GPUs can do that? - Which CPUs can feed that?

I wish Tom's HW had such a list for orientation... Do you?

Cheers,
Ragnar G.D.

Solution
I understand that. Only other issue is every game is different. Every system is different. And there are so many factors at play in that kind of matter. Even as simple as CAS Latency of 1 RAM module to CAS latency of another.

So the list all of a sudden becomes incredibly extensive, very difficult to maintain, and requires a lot of resource to keep it going. I think it would be incredibly useful yes, but the economics and mechanics of actually completing it could become difficult and in some cases, misleading in my opinion! :LOL:

Also one could argue sites such as userbenchmark and Logical Increments get the hollistic view of it together. But I agree it would be a very useful tool, which is probably why I refer to Logical Increments...

ragnar-gd

Reputable
True, and that page is a start. But at the moment, even though there a great CPUs out there, most people have a monitor, and a more-or-less fitting GPU, and rarely improve their situation when buying a new CPU/MoBo/Ram Combo, as longs as they have at least a sandy bridge i7, or a Ryzen. Anything older is another thing, though, FX or Core 2 Quad is Legacy, and will barely feed 1080p.
So i would not want a precise table, with 100% fit, but a rather rough guideline, based on an existing Monitor and existing GPU, to advise people, if updating brings more fps, and if you can feel that when gaming. Only that. Gamers only.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I understand that. Only other issue is every game is different. Every system is different. And there are so many factors at play in that kind of matter. Even as simple as CAS Latency of 1 RAM module to CAS latency of another.

So the list all of a sudden becomes incredibly extensive, very difficult to maintain, and requires a lot of resource to keep it going. I think it would be incredibly useful yes, but the economics and mechanics of actually completing it could become difficult and in some cases, misleading in my opinion! :LOL:

Also one could argue sites such as userbenchmark and Logical Increments get the hollistic view of it together. But I agree it would be a very useful tool, which is probably why I refer to Logical Increments quite a lot as a foundation.

Solution