Question Is Thermal paste going to help?

May 3, 2019
Hello. I have recently got my hands on an Rx 460 4gb Gpu. I found out that i didnt have a 6pin power connector, so i took it to a Pc Service shop, and got a new Psu. Its a Corsair 620w power supply. (I used to have a 420w Spire) My pc runs very good, and im able to do a lot of work, and I can use it for gaming. My issue is that the pc overheats fairly quickly. When its Idle it runs ok (still a bit too hot) at 76°C. However not 30 mins in its in the 82-88°C area and sometimes even more. The pc is completely clean of dust, and while i do use a stock cpu cooler, i havent had any problems with it. I havent tried adjusting fan speeds yet. My best guess for dealing with this problem is by replacing the old thermal paste. (I got the pc 3 years ago, and it has never been changed.) Also the old thermal paste apply was a bit bad to say the least. The paste is extremely thin by the looks of it, almost as if there isnt even on at all. I'm planning on buying a good thermal paste tomorrow, and use the pea sized drop way of doing it (I have applied thermal paste before like this). Do you guys think that it will work? If this fails, i might think about getting a better cpu cooler. Does the heat of the Cpu affect the Gpu temperature aswell?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Which "Corsair 620w" unit did you get? and how much was it?
AFAIK, Corsair haven't released a 620W unit in about a decade - they had the HX620 based on the SeaSonic S12II platform....

What is running hot? CPU or GPU (or both)?

Please post your full system specs.

No, the CPU temps won't really impact the GPU.... at least, not much as hot air rises.
Heat from the GPU could limit the cooling of the CPU somewhat though....

Replacing the paste might help, but unlikely to be more than a couple of degrees unless the stuff is very old/crusty/dry. A replacement cooler is probably a better route to go.

May 3, 2019
Which "Corsair 620w" unit did you get? and how much was it?
AFAIK, Corsair haven't released a 620W unit in about a decade - they had the HX620 based on the SeaSonic S12II platform....

What is running hot? CPU or GPU (or both)?

Please post your full system specs.

No, the CPU temps won't really impact the GPU.... at least, not much as hot air rises.
Heat from the GPU could limit the cooling of the CPU somewhat though....

Replacing the paste might help, but unlikely to be more than a couple of degrees unless the stuff is very old/crusty/dry. A replacement cooler is probably a better route to go.

I just checked, its a Corsair VS650w
My specs:
Motherboard : Asrock fm2a58m-hd+ (with R7 integrated graphics)
CPU : Amd A8-7600
GPU : Asus Strix Rx 460 4gb
RAM : 8gb ddr3 HyperX
There is a total of 4 coolers in my case. Psu,Cpu and the two Gpu coolers, but those only start working if the Gpu starts overheating, which isnt much of a problem for me atm. Cpu overheating is my problem.