Build Advice Is this 4+ years old pc worth $650 CAD?

Sep 24, 2019
Hello everyone,

I've been doing my own research for a while, but I feel I need some concrete opinions from people which know more than me.

I've recently moved to Vancouver, Canada, and it wasn't worth it to ship my PC to here. I am planning on saving some money to get/build a desktop PC later capable of some gaming. However, I came across the following offer for a used PC recently for $650 CAD:

• CPU: i5-3450 3.5 GHz (I guess this is the 3.1GHz model with 3.5GHz turbo)
  • GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
  • RAM: 4 x 4 GB DDR3 Ram (unknown model currently)
  • MOBO: Unknown model from Asus
  • SSD: 250GB from unkown manufacturer
  • Cooler: Gammax 400 Cooler
  • PSU: Cooler Master 500W PSU
  • Case: Matrexx 55 Case with 5 RGB Fans
I know that there is a lot of information missing. I've already contacted the owner and he said that would give me additional information ASAP. The reason he said he is selling it is that he does not have time anymore to play, so he is planning on using the money to buy a light and cheap laptop. In spite of the lack of information, I am already not sure if this build is worth the money.

Main goal for this PC: It would be to play games. I do have an (old) laptop which I use to work, so the main purpose for the PC would be for games. I wish I could play some AAA games on medium with 60 FPS (like the new Borderlands 3), and to play some online standard games (Overwatch, League of Legends) on High with 60+FPS.

This build's weak point seems to be the old gen CPU, and I don't know how bad would it be for me to buy a used PC (some parts might fail soon?). Also, I'm waiting for the mobo info to see if it can hold some future upgrades. Do you have any opinions on this pc?

Thanks a lot for the attention.

I think it is a little high, even for Canada. You can build a new one that is better for $700.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9t6WGc

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($108.75 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($87.04 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Team T-Force Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ Memory Express)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 580 8 GB Phantom Gaming X Video Card ($229.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: HEC HX300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($62.75 @ Vuugo)
Total: $701.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-24 14:54 EDT-0400

Reactions: victorsp