Question Is this 550W PSU safe for such a setup?

tonoman

Honorable
Jul 13, 2017
Hello community,

since i am not much experienced at building PCs, i am here to reach for a help.

My wife's current PC setup is:

CPU: AMD FX-8320E with 1x90mm fan
GPU: AMD Radeon 5700XT BE
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GT (Plus Gold)
RAM: HyperX Savage 4x8GB DDR3 (1600MHz i believe)
MoBo: MSI 970 gaming
Storage: 1x 240GB Sandisk SSD, 1x WD Red 1TB
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL II with 4x 120mm fans

Previous GPU was 2x GTX950 in SLI (which i thought was OK with this PSU), but i managed to buy used 5700XT for a good price. But seeing its specification with withdraw up to 225W combined with 95W TDP CPU worried me a little. I am not experienced in choosing proper PSU at all as well as in giving approximate overall PC wattage consumption. I wonder whether i risk smelling the electronic parts scent when my wife plays for extended period of time or the PSU is enough even if CPU and GPU was at 100% usage (rare, but possible).
The PC is not overclocked in any way (except some XMP profile or what).

I bought the PSU 9 months ago and it was brand new. And i've blown dust out of it twice since.

Can you please share your opinion about my situation, evenutally give an advice?

Thank you in advance, community!

Last edited:
Solution
Supernova GT is a decent PSU and 550w is fine. Better focus on the CPU which would be a huge limiting factor because of the very low single core performance.

logainofhades

Titan
You will need a PSU upgrade.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/aorus-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8g-review,8.html

Here is our power supply recommendation:

• Radeon RX 5700 - On your average system we recommend a 500 Watt power supply unit.
  • Radeon RX 5700 XT - On your average system we recommend a 600 Watt power supply unit.

This one is more than you need, but its price isn't vastly different than lesser wattage models. On a wattage for the price, and being of high quality, makes it a really good value. Also gives you some upgrade headroom.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $114.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-03 13:01 EDT-0400

tonoman

Honorable
Jul 13, 2017
Supernova GT is a decent PSU and 550w is fine. Better focus on the CPU which would be a huge limiting factor because of the very low single core performance.
Thank you for reply. That is true indeed. Me myself got an i7-2600k slightly overclocked which is still decent, paired with recently inherited GTX950 SLI, so next upgrade gonna be on wife's computer again, sadly for me. 😆 But which mobo and cpu to choose, that's probably the question now if the PSU is fully capable of running things alright