Question Is this 6pin to 8pin adapter working?

Feb 24, 2019
Its a 650W power supply.
I dont see the point of buying new one

Then there is a good chance your next post will be "I put my card in my computer but it made a funny noise and is now smoking".

What is the brand and model of the power supply and the video card you want to get? 8 pin PCIe connection supplies more power than a 6 pin one, it's not there just to mess with you so you can't connect it but for the extra power the card needs to run.

Reactions: Rogue Leader
Then there is a good chance your next post will be "I put my card in my computer but it made a funny noise and is now smoking".

What is the brand and model of the power supply and the video card you want to get? 8 pin PCIe connection supplies more power than a 6 pin one, it's not there just to mess with you so you can't connect it but for the extra power the card needs to run.

And they won't say anything about the adaptor either, but will blame everything except what the real problem is. :ROFLMAO:

DSzymborski

Titan
Yup, this is a disaster waiting to happen. Lots of "650W" PSUs are actually just lousy 300W PSUs. Some are made with garbage parts, some only actually have half that output on the +12V rail, which is what matters most for the last 20 years, and some just outright lie. That's why the exact PSU has to be examined for any responsible advice to be given.

Yup, this is a disaster waiting to happen. Lots of "650W" PSUs are actually just lousy 300W PSUs. Some are made with garbage parts, some only actually have half that output on the +12V rail, which is what matters most for the last 20 years, and some just outright lie. That's why the exact PSU has to be examined for any responsible advice to be given.

Yeah, don't get me started... :LOL:

We have been seeing a large influx of complete garbage PSU's here lately and people recommending them. :rolleyes:

It is getting worse.

I pretty much ignore most of those type threads because most are attached to budget type builds and I don't want to get banned again for pointing out POS builds.

Feb 24, 2019

I dont understand that logic but okay man.
I wish i didnt ask that xd.

DSzymborski

Titan

If you have heart disease, it doesn't magically go away if you choose not to find out about it.

The logic is quite simple: any quality power supply with enough output to safely run a GPU that needs an eight-pin connector will actually have an eight-pin connector. Power supply adapters are an extremely common source for minor fires. We get so many questions asking about "my power adapter melted is my GPU still OK?" that I have a standard response for those.

The quality and recommendability of power supply is far more than the wattage. It's like the size of the gas tank on a car. Would you make your car-purchasing decisions solely on how much gas it can carry?

Nobody's going to answer your question without more information, because to do so would be abhorrent. Power supplies are a safety part, for your power supply, your GPU, the rest of your PC, and your house. To give you the green-light to something that could destroy your computer or in the worst-case scenario, start a fire, would be gross negligence.

Won't it be easier to actually list the specs and find out what you need? All people are trying to do is make sure you don't kill your new card and possibly motherboard or other components if your power supply fails. If you don't want that, do what you want to since you are trying not to listen to advice. The card may work with some adapter, or may not, it may run and crash randomly, or system may not boot, or the adapter will melt and start a fire, or the card power supply will pop and die or the PCIe slot will burn out killing the motherboard, up to you what you you want to risk.

If the OP doesn't want to listen just ignore them and let them fry their system or worse.

Not our problem if they don't want to listen, or even tell us what PSU they have in the 1st place. Not that it would really matter as it's likely garbage anyway since they won't tell us what it is. ;)

Pending Darwin award winner here I tell you.

We wasted too much time and effort in this thread already.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019
If you have heart disease, it doesn't magically go away if you choose not to find out about it.

The logic is quite simple: any quality power supply with enough output to safely run a GPU that needs an eight-pin connector will actually have an eight-pin connector. Power supply adapters are an extremely common source for minor fires. We get so many questions asking about "my power adapter melted is my GPU still OK?" that I have a standard response for those.

The quality and recommendability of power supply is far more than the wattage. It's like the size of the gas tank on a car. Would you make your car-purchasing decisions solely on how much gas it can carry?

Nobody's going to answer your question without more information, because to do so would be abhorrent. Power supplies are a safety part, for your power supply, your GPU, the rest of your PC, and your house. To give you the green-light to something that could destroy your computer or in the worst-case scenario, start a fire, would be gross negligence.

Okay this is my spec:
Motherboard: z170a krait gaming
Ram: corsair vengeance lpx 2666 Mhz
Power supply: chieftec cft-650-14cs (it has got two two six pin connectors and i am thinking about to use 2x6 pin to 8 pin adapter)
Card: Msi Rx 580 Gaming X 8gb
Cpu: i7 6700
cooler: cooler master hyper 612 v2

Last edited:
Okay this is my spec:
Motherboard: z170a krait gaming
Ram: corsair vengeance lpx 2666 Mhz
Power supply: chieftec cft-650-14cs (it has got two two six pin connectors and i am thinking about to use 2x6 pin to 8 pin adapter)
Card: Msi Rx 580 Gaming X 8gb
Cpu: i7 6700
cooler: cooler master hyper 612 v2

That PSU is POS, VERY low quality, one of the worst you can buy.

You need a new PSU, better quality than that POS you have now.

I wouldn't run an LED light on that thing.

You are asking for a fire or worse.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Why is it bad?
I had this Psu about 7 years now and i havent got any problem with it.
'
You could only measure that if you had some very expensive hardware for testing power supplies. The majority of a damage a power supply can do to parts is invisible to the naked eye; it's like eating a pound of bacon every morning for seven years and insisting your heart is fine because you're not dead. Most of the time, the damage caused by junk power supplies is asymptomatic until it's far too late to do anything about it.

If you don't feel like you care enough to ensure the safety of your components, that's your business.

We've seen a lot of people go down this road and come back some point later wondering why their PC no longer works, even with a new power supply. You won't be the first and you won't be the last.