Question is this 8pin connector broken and is 8+6 pin connector compatible with 980Ti?

Mar 22, 2019
Hello, Ive recently started to experience random monitor shutdowns while i was gaming,
i checked my 8pin connector and theres 1 pin missing in the corner like theres just nothing in there, you can see straight through it, and 3 of the pins turned black in color, the other 4 are normal colored like it is on both of my 6pin and 2pin cables.
now im using 6+2+6pin connectors, will those 2 pins make a difference? and is that a bad 8pin cable that i had?

I have an MSI GTX 980Ti GAMING 6G, and i started to get those monitor shutdowns while i was gaming and i had to restart my pc everytime because the sound was still playing but it was unresponsive, like i couldnt turn on my monitor, sometimes it would crash instantly when i opened any graphical game, could even be an old game, didnt matter. Then i tried to unplug the 8pin while my pc was still running and it was the same thing, because i even tried dismantling my gpu, cleaning it etc. Sometimes when i crashed i used to swap the places of the cables and it would run okay for like 3days and the it would do the same thing again.

Which pin is missing?
The pins that turned blach, are they burned? An image will help.
There should be pins and wires on all them.
PCIe has the +12V lines on pins 1-3, the others are ground and sense wires.
A 6+2 pin connector should be the same as using an 8-pin connector.

Mar 22, 2019
Which pin is missing?
The pins that turned blach, are they burned? An image will help.
There should be pins and wires on all them.
PCIe has the +12V lines on pins 1-3, the others are ground and sense wires.
A 6+2 pin connector should be the same as using an 8-pin connector.

View: https://imgur.com/a/CGeX5cK

and i have connected 6(+2) + 6 pin connectors , so overall 8+6, not 8+8, those connectors are from EVGA SuperNova 650W Gold 80+ PSU that im using right now , and the 8pin that "i guess" isnt working was in the 980Ti box, used it for 2years, in the photo looks like plastic is melted or something idk if its melted or just a faulty one, and the other pin is missing, 3 pins look burned or something because theyre darker, i dont know if they burned, let me know what you think.

That connectors is in bad shape.
The pin (pin #8) missing is ground, so they might have not included.
The +12v pin #1 (in the opposite end) is mangled like it was chewed up and that one is essential for the GPU to receive enough power..

If they came with the 980ti, where did you connected the other end?

Mar 22, 2019
That connectors is in bad shape.
The pin (pin #8) missing is ground, so they might have not included.
The +12v pin #1 (in the opposite end) is mangled like it was chewed up and that one is essential for the GPU to receive enough power..

If they came with the 980ti, where did you connected the other end?
I had used this 8pin connector the one which you said was bad, and the 6+2pin EVGA PSU connector, my 980Ti requires 8pin+8pin, so i used 8pin + 8(6+2)pin one, right now 8+6pin works fine for me, even OC'ed it to 1477mhz.

There should not have been a PCIe connector in the video card box unless it's an adapter to use it with something like dual SATA or ATA drive connections. Is that what you were using? Or are you using the PCIe cables from the power supply? Your EVGA PSU is good quality and should have had dual PCIe cables, the specs actually show it comes with 4 of them.
PCIe4x8pin(6+2)

May 11, 2019
Hi all, sorry to jump on this but I'm having a very similar issue and could really do with some advise.
I have exactly the same symptoms as the op with the same gpu and adapter he was using. The difference being my adapter cable is still intact but the other 8pin to 8pin pcie cable has melted on several pins.
I currently am using a cooler master power supply which is modular but I cannot find another 8 pin cooler master cable. I have a 6+2 PCI e cable from a Corsair PSU but I'm not sure if that is compatible.
Can anyone point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks