Is this a bad cpu? very frustrated!

eaa1964

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
building a new system

I just purchased a new mother board and CPU. gigabyte said I did not need addtl graphic card to get started.

Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H
AMD Phenom II x4 840
8 GB ram (2-4gb cards)

the Mobo is suppose to has on-board graphics positioned on north bridge.
Onboard Graphic Chipset: ATi Radeon HD 4250

When I do initial boot, I hear 3 long beeps.long pause. 3 long beeps. etc
Nothing showing on known good monitor.(Samsung SyncMaster 914v). yes. it is plugged in. the little green light is flashing.

I called customer service where I purchased the mobo and cpu. they said it seemed to be a ram problem. they confirmed the ram they sold me was compatible. we pulled ram, re-seated many times, changed the location etc. the tech guy said he didn't know any other tricks. He said I should call gigabyte support.

gigabyte walked me through the same procedure and then some. he was perplexed. He asked me if I had another CPU to try with the board. I did not. call ended.

After thinking about it, I did have another mobo I could try. Not nearly as nice (biostar) but it was compatible and has intergrated sound and graphics card. I did a bench test. Hmmm.....same issue. This time no sound and no monitor.

1cpu using 2 different mobo's. is this a bad cpu?

or suggestions.......

thanks.

EAA

try this way
- check your PSU
- check the CPU pins are bent or there may be exposed to thermal paste.
- Are you using a USB or PS/2 mouse or keyboard? Your bios may not even load until the problem relating to input are fixed. If you are using PS/2 keyboard/mouse then unplug and check if the pins are straight (undamaged).

- test it don't use HDD just mobo, CPU + speaker mobo (if you hear beep it means your CPU fine )
- RAM in another slot you have 4 Slot use 1 Stick
- maybe you need check it at other pc your friend , maybe ?

3xch4ng3

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
This guy had the same problem, turned out to be the memory.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/281545-30-880ga-ud3h-memory-problem

I'd check the memory and any combination of Single Stick, Dual Channel on Bank A & B and any other combination in between to see if it's the memory itself, or a faulty motherboard.

My money is on the Memory, which typically has the highest failure rate besides the power supply, compared to the CPU which has the lowest failure rate of any other component installed.

TRENDING THREADS