Is this a balanced spec??

fredthefifth

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Hi All, I'm going to be building a Windows 7 AMD based PC around the following motherboard, processor and graphics card. Will be used as a basic home PC most of the time but I do like to play Flight Simulator FSX sometimes. This spec is in line with available budget but I'm not an expert and am wondering whether its reasonbaly balanced or whether one of the components to a bit over the top when compared with the others. Reducing spend is a bigger driver than increasing I'm affraid.

The following was spec'd up from ebuyer.com in the UK, any opinions appreciated.

Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3 AMD 770 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £58
AMD Phenom II X4 840 Socket AM3 3.2GHz 2MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor £75
Sapphire HD 5670 512MB GDDR5 HDMI DVI VGA PCI-E Graphics Card £51

FTF

fredthefifth

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Thanks, exactly the advice I was looking for. Just one comment arising though - giving that it makes sense to optimise spec for the game and mine tends to be FSX, I'm sure I have read somewhere (possibly in a Tom's hardware review) that FSX is more cpu than gpu intensive. Never quite understood whether that was fact or supposition though! Any thoughts?
FTF

foverosiv

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
you can always try to overclock if you feel your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU in FSX, but I highly doubt it is, thats a pretty decent CPU :)