stormman34

Reputable
Dec 17, 2018
So my speakers started sounding really bad the other day and after closer inspection I found this:
pqsyWA0.jpg

I tried Googling a blown capacitor but didn't find anything like this, so is that cap broken or is that brown goo something else. I also found out in some video that blown caps only affect the volume of speakers not their quality.

stormman34

Reputable
Dec 17, 2018
hn0i1Zl.jpg

That's the one, but can it (if it's broken) change the quality of the sound or just the volume? And is there by any chance a site that just has tons and tons of schematics for various electronics? It would be pretty handy.

hn0i1Zl.jpg

That's the one, but can it (if it's broken) change the quality of the sound or just the volume? And is there by any chance a site that just has tons and tons of schematics for various electronics? It would be pretty handy.
Myself and a few other electronics engineers have looked at this pic and we aren't convinced this is a blown capacitor.

We think it may be just some sort of goop that wound up there.

Although we can't see the capacitor from different angles like you can.

Do you see the case on the capacitor broken with perhaps some leakage at all or does it look intact (even at the bottom).

Also....How old are those speakers?

As far as sound quality....it depends where the cap is in the circuit.
Caps can be used for filters and in that case it would affect the sound quality.

Caps can be used for other things as well that would not affect sound quality.

Also....if you really want to know if it's the cap....you could desolder and and check it with a meter....but at that point....I would just replace it with a new one anyway.

stormman34

Reputable
Dec 17, 2018
Here are some more pictures if that'll help, that capacitor is in the center of that whole goop so I suspect that it has leaked.
eKLtdV4.jpg
ds8qHXy.jpg
YAXpopc.jpg

The second photo probably has the correct date on it, I can't really remember when I got them. If it helps they are Genius SW-HF2.1 1200.
Also that transistor's bands are Brown-Black-Brown-Gold which is 100 Ohms 5%.

Last edited: