[SOLVED] Is this a bottleneck?

Jul 29, 2019
I’ve got i5 7600k and a asus duel gtx 1060 6gb. It looks like they’ve cpu is bottlenecking the four cos it is at 100% performance in game when the you is at 30-50%. But looking on forums this shouldn’t be the case as the 7600k is a capable cpu. Why would this be happening?

Solution
To find a bottle-neck, reduce your screen resolution in a game to the lowest possible, without changing graphic detail settings (as these are sometimes cpu and gpu dependent). Do some testing, if the fps does not go up significantly, then you are cpu bottle-necked. If you lower the resolution and you see a large jump in fps, then you are GPU bottle-necked. You could also do the same by removing, or applying more Anti-aliasing, putting more or less strain on the gpu.
What you could do is increase the graphics pre-set. This will mean the GPU will be doing more to keep up with increased graphics, and FPS will drop. Because of the FPS drop, the CPU will be doing less, and so this will somewhat level out your CPU and GPU.
Simply put: increase graphics.

To find a bottle-neck, reduce your screen resolution in a game to the lowest possible, without changing graphic detail settings (as these are sometimes cpu and gpu dependent). Do some testing, if the fps does not go up significantly, then you are cpu bottle-necked. If you lower the resolution and you see a large jump in fps, then you are GPU bottle-necked. You could also do the same by removing, or applying more Anti-aliasing, putting more or less strain on the gpu.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah possibly. Background running processes takes away cpu resources. Discord and programs that you need try move them to the last core using affinity in task manager. There is a program called Winaero that can be used to disable unnecessary processes temporarily. It'll help if free up the primary core best you can.

Faster ram can also help allowing cpu do more.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
What you could do is increase the graphics pre-set. This will mean the GPU will be doing more to keep up with increased graphics, and FPS will drop. Because of the FPS drop, the CPU will be doing less, and so this will somewhat level out your CPU and GPU.
Simply put: increase graphics.
So mask the restriction by making the game look more pretty while still getting the same FPS is what you're saying.

Why would you set your resolution below the native resolution of your monitor? I'm not going to game at 1440x900 on my 1920x1200 monitor, eventually all CPUs are going to be bottle-necked if you set the resolution low enough.
It’s a test, they are not suggesting you keep it like that. Dropping resolution and seeing minimal FPS change is a quick way of seeing if you are cpu limited.

Reactions: hftvhftv