Question Is this a bottleneck?

Dec 25, 2019
I have an RTX 2060 6GB
i7-9700F
HyperX 8x2 Ram
Anyone know why when playing game on fortnite etc I get high cpu temp?
my power options = balanced
I get around 70-80 Degrees when I am playing?
Anyone know how to fix or is this a bottle neck?

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
70-80 degrees is fairly acceptable. Try to run the game with your side pannel off, and see if the temps get lower.

I don't know what you mean with an "OMEN" cooler, but if it's a cheap one, maybe getting a better one or reapplying thermal paste could help too.

You can also adjust your fan-curve in the bios, that way you can choose to get higher fan speeds (more noise!) at lower temps if you want to keep your cpu below 80 degrees.

a 9700F is more than snappy enough for any game, as is an RTX2060 for 1080P/high or medium 1440P...

YOU can check your temps and clock speeds to make sure the CPU is ramping up and down in clock speed normally, but, you should see at least ~4.2 GHz on all cores under load....(w/ brief bursts to 4.7 GHz on a core or two when at desktop and opening/closing applications an d documents, etc...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Heh, not really. Cpu outputs whatever it outputs, got nothing to do with what the gpu puts onscreen. The only thing going to happen with a 2080ti at 1080p is the gpu will render all the frames the cpu sends it at any detail level and put them up. Changing from low to ultra won't change rendered fps. It's not a cpu bottleneck, it's an under-fully utilized gpu.

What can bottleneck the cpu is ram, game code, storage speeds, basically anything that comes prior to its output.

Gpu can be a 'bottleneck' if the cpu gives it high fps, and the gpu can't put them all onscreen.

Well that’s not true. Any system can bottleneck in certain circumstances. Stick a 2080Ti in there and run 1080p and there would be a cpu bottleneck in many games.

Sadly, no, it is true, when we talk about bottleneck we have to understand that everything by nature bottlenecks, the SSD/HDD bottlenecks or else we would not need RAM, every CPU bottlenecks else we would not need GPUs, the BUS, USB, everything bottlenecks, but do we worry about it? no.

so, in therms of if a CPU is bottleneck, even a 3770k will not bottleneck a 2080ti, because if it did, there would be the conditions where the bottleneck as the big bad scary ghost that seems to haunt everybody nowadays would be present, such as stuttering, constant massive frame drops, extremly low FPS and so on, that doesnt happens with a 3770k wich can maintain the 60 fps on titles like assassin creed, MHW, battlefied, and certainly runs massively better with a 9700F, the fact that you can get more frames with a better CPU/GPU is not bottleneck, is merely getting the performance you paid for, else, you'd get infinite frames per second...

I have an RTX 2060 6GB
i7-9700F
HyperX 8x2 Ram
Anyone know why when playing game on fortnite etc I get high cpu temp?
my power options = balanced
I get around 70-80 Degrees when I am playing?
Anyone know how to fix or is this a bottle neck?

70-80 is perfectly fine for a temp...you can buy a better cpu cooler and drive down temps but it won't increase performance as the 9700 is perfectly happy running at 80c.

No you're not bottlenecked by those temps as the 9700 won't start down-clocking due to temps until it hits about 100c Tj per Intel.

Sadly, no, it is true, when we talk about bottleneck we have to understand that everything by nature bottlenecks, the SSD/HDD bottlenecks or else we would not need RAM, every CPU bottlenecks else we would not need GPUs, the BUS, USB, everything bottlenecks, but do we worry about it? no.

so, in therms of if a CPU is bottleneck, even a 3770k will not bottleneck a 2080ti, because if it did, there would be the conditions where the bottleneck as the big bad scary ghost that seems to haunt everybody nowadays would be present, such as stuttering, constant massive frame drops, extremly low FPS and so on, that doesnt happens with a 3770k wich can maintain the 60 fps on titles like assassin creed, MHW, battlefied, and certainly runs massively better with a 9700F, the fact that you can get more frames with a better CPU/GPU is not bottleneck, is merely getting the performance you paid for, else, you'd get infinite frames per second...

I’d agree from a gaming perspective that the term bottleneck is often misused and overly worried about, they key is a good balance of components. However I disagree with your definition of a bottleneck for gaming. A bottleneck is simply the limiting factor, what is it that caps performance/workflow. As in the neck of a bottleneck limits the maximum flow of fluid. Therefore it is entirely possible to have 100, 200 or more FPS and a smooth gaming experience and yet still have the cpu limiting maximum performance (FPS) and leave the gpu with significant performance potential not utilised. A bottleneck can occur long before the symptoms you list, those are more extreme bottleneck to the point where the hardware is inadequate.

I’d agree from a gaming perspective that the term bottleneck is often misused and overly worried about, they key is a good balance of components. However I disagree with your definition of a bottleneck for gaming. A bottleneck is simply the limiting factor, what is it that caps performance/workflow. As in the neck of a bottleneck limits the maximum flow of fluid. Therefore it is entirely possible to have 100, 200 or more FPS and a smooth gaming experience and yet still have the cpu limiting maximum performance (FPS) and leave the gpu with significant performance potential not utilised. A bottleneck can occur long before the symptoms you list, those are more extreme bottleneck to the point where the hardware is inadequate.

Thats a absolutelly right, however as i said before theres bottlenecks everywhere, and using this term so often because, say my 4770k can run at 60 FPS on a 2080TI and a 9900k can reach 90 isn't a situation where we should be screaming bottleneck, why? first because again its in the nature of every PC to have bottleneck everywhere, and secondly because either are within the acceptable range, the main problem is, when theres is no bottleneck? never, even if the curren high end CPU's cant explore the maximum of a RTX 2080ti, then we should go with a 2080 Super or a 2070 Super right? but wait, if we add either of these we get less frames! how come? we should get the same frames as the 2080ti because it was at under-usage! and thats not how it happens, same when we upgrade the processor again and again using an old card, I mean, imagine an old 3770k + 780ti, if you were to upgrade to 7700k you'd get more frames, again if you were to upgrade to 9900k you'd get even more frames, ofc with a diminishing return... technically speaking yes, theres a bottleneck with 9700k, 9900k and even 10gen, but we mustnt use that term because again thats the nature of how a PC works, else, we all should be running around ripping our hairs because the bottleneck on storage devices are simply insane! but we dont complain about it because things works and things are fine....